8 Clichés Green Screenwriters Need To Ditch

77

In high school, I took a screenplay writing class and ever since I like to write short films in my spare time. I watch and re-watch A LOT of movies and television shows because I love to analyze the scripts (and the acting). I’ve noticed certain stations like ABC and independent entertainment companies such as Netflix, are taking on more and more newbie or “green” screenwriter’s for their new television series’. This is great news for aspiring screenwriters! BUT, and this is a big “but,” with new talent comes tons of “rookie mistakes” with the script’s plot and lots of cliches. I’m certainly not suggesting that I’m immune to these cliches, because I’m not. What I am saying is that these cliches are so obvious, and at times, cringe worthy. So why not help one another out when we spot them in each other's work?

Here is my list of 8 cliches that every green screenwriter needs to ditch in their next script:

1. “Are you okay?”

“I am now.”

Honestly this is one of my pet peeves in scripts and you can always see when this line is coming. Something terrible, drastic or dramatic just happened and it’s such an unoriginal exchange! At this point, for me, ANY response is better than “ I am now.” It’s not creative and gives the actor zero leeway to think about how their character, as a unique individual, feels after the event or situation.

2. “This is your destiny.”

That predetermined “destiny” that we resist and have no say in is always gettin’ us into trouble, huh? When I hear some form of “This is your destiny” in a film, I feel like it’s just stating the obvious. We know it’s his/her destiny. That’s why we’re watching the movie!

3. The film is building to it’s big climactic scene and...it starts to rain.

Seriously, not another one! Countless movies have thunderstorms representing the “washing away” of the old character or of the way things used to be. Or rain is meant to amp up the suspense by making the environment slippery or muddy. This makes for an added challenge to the fight or battle scene in a film. Either way, rain is supposed to bring about a fresh start afterwards, but it’s so overused, why not try a hail storm or something?

4. “You don’t want/have to do this.”

This is what just about every hero/protagonist says to the villain/antagonist. And we all know the answer. Yes. Yes they do have to do this.

5. The film begins and the main character’s alarm clock goes off.

Please don’t start your film with an alarm clock. That is all.

6. Films about Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, etc.

It’s just a really overdone genre. And it can be a very limiting genre. Vampires and werewolves have been modernized through films like Twilight and zombies are fit into either apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic times. If you’re gonna go there, it better be pretty fricken original.

7. “Is that all you got?”

“I’m just getting started.”

Obviously this line, or some version of it, is meant to be provocative towards another character, but it is such a one dimensional line. It doesn’t make the character unique or appear to be all that clever because every superhero has used that line before. There’s got to be other provocative dialog for a protagonist or antagonist to say to another character.

8. One dimensional characters that fit into nice stereotyped boxes.

It’s really easy to write in a character that fits into “the girl nextdoor” box or a good looking jock who is dating the school’s cheerleader. In the movie White Chick, FBI agents Kevin and Marcus Copeland actually bring dimension and life to the Wilson sister’s. There are always unique ways to bust stereotype myths in a comedy without actually perpetuating the stereotype. And in general, having rounded characters makes them more authentic, and therefore, more relatable.

These cliches are easy to fall into. I’ve found the best way to avoid cliches is to write about what you know from your life experience right in this moment. Your story and characters are far more likely to be realistic and authentic.