9 Caribbean Countries That Are NOT Jamaica

No, Trinidad is NOT in Jamaica.

2182
Kaiomi Inniss

As someone from the Caribbean, I am entirely aware of the fact that most foreigners usually think that Jamaica makes up the entire Caribbean, or the entire West Indian region. This is how an encounter with a foreigner usually goes:

Them: "Where are you from?"

Me: "Trinidad and Tobago, but lived in Barbados mostly."

Them: "Oh my gosh, is that in Jamaica?"

OR

Them: "Where are you from?"

Me: "Trinidad."

Them: "Ya mon!"

Me: "No...Trinidad, not Jamaica.."

Them: "Ya mon, irie vibes, rasta mon."

So, you can see how this can get frustrating. I have had many friends relay their encounters with foreigners who put on (horrible) Jamaican accents while talking to them, leaving them confused or annoyed. Additionally, the media heavily portrays the stereotype that all West Indians sound Jamaican, as Jamaican culture has a lot of influence in popular culture nowadays. Therefore, for the people who still think the only country in the Caribbean/West Indies is Jamaica, here is a list of just SOME of the countries that are considered part of the Caribbean:

1. Barbados

Boasts the Caribbean's best beaches like Crane Beach and Carlisle Bay, home to cous-cous and flying-fish, and home to international pop star Rihanna.

2. Belize

Located in Central America, Belize considers itself part of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). Belize is known for its lovely and extensive coral reefs, punta music, and September Celebrations.

3. Dominica

Often overlooked because of the influcence of Dominican Republicans in the U.S, Dominica is a completely different nation. Dominica is usually called, "the nature isle of the Caribbean", as it is home to an abundance of unspoiled nature and landscapes.

4. Grenada

Grenada, the spice island, is one of the Caribbean's hidden gems. Grenada boasts many beautiful mountains, waterfalls and rivers.

5. Guyana

Guyana is located on the South American continent, however due to a common history and political affiliation, it is part of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). Guyana boasts the highest levels of biodiversity in the world, making it a great destination for eco-tourism.

6. Haiti

Haiti shares the island of Hispaniola with Dominican Republic, and is usually looked down on for being poor. However, the Haitian people, the culture and the entire landscape boasts an abundance of wealth. Their beaches, their resilence and their own language Haitian Creole.

7. Saint Lucia

Saint Lucia is home to the sulphur springs, the Pitons and even a drive-in volcano. The view from the Pitons is breathtaking and the air is incredibly crisp.

8. Saint Vincent and Grenadines

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines consists of many small islands that are all equally beautiful. The island Bequia is one not to be overlooked.

9. Trinidad and Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago is home to the steelpan, soca and calypso music, doubles, and Carnival. Trinidad's diverse culture, its partying and its abundance of local foods, makes it a great destination.