11 Breathtaking College Campuses When It Matters Most (In The Fall)

Crisp air, colorful leaves and countless trees.

404
MSU

Summer might be a student’s best friend, and even though it means getting back to the college grind, fall certainly has its allure.

It means the start of football season, move-in day across campuses, going to bonfires with friends, and the summer heat subsiding. It is a time of year when many of the nation’s campuses are possibly the most picturesque, with brilliant colors, cobblestone streets bringing out the campus’s full character and charm.

While it may be true that a great campus is great year-round. We’ve made our choices for 11 campuses that really nail it in the fall.

1. Michigan State University - Lansing, Michigan

Located in the heart of Michigan, sprawled on 5,192 acres, lays one of the most beautiful college campuses Michigan State University. MSU is a bike friendly university, with over 12 miles of bike trails and 20,000 bicycle parking spaces. Perfect for watching the leaves change color and the campus is transformed.

2. Duke University - Durham, North Carolina

In the middle of the tiny town of Durham, North Carolina is Duke University, home of the Blue Devils. Only a few are privileged enough to Call Duke home. The University sits on 8,470 acres, surrounded by dense forest, and beautiful gothic architecture.

3. Mount Holyoke College - South Hadley, Massachusetts

Located in Massachusetts, Mount Holyoke College is quite a sight during the fall. The liberal arts college for women covers 2,000 acres, including Riding Trails, and two beautiful lakes - Upper and Lower Lakes - with scenic waterfalls. Students and visitors can take strolls and truly experience fall.

4. University of Wisconsin - Madison Madison, Wisconsin

Home of the Badgers, UW-Madison lays on 936 acres overlooking lake Mendota, and is located in the energetic city of Madison. Current and future badgers have the opportunity to visit the arboretum and experience the never end colors of fall.

5. Brown University - Providence, Rhode Island

Providence, Rhode Island is home to top ivy league school Brown University. With just 143 acres, a walk through Brown's campus is filled with architecture, and lined with vibrant colors of red, orange and yellow leaves.

6. University of Arkansas - Fayetteville, Arkansas

Yet another beautiful southern community is the town of Fayetteville, Arkansas, home to University of Arkansas. This small campus of just 143 acres is home to 27,236 students. This gives the campus a lively vibe, especially as classes begin each fall.

7. Sam Houston State University - Huntsville, Texas

Nestled within the Pineywoods is Sam Houston State University. With over 272 acres, the campus is booming with scenic attractions of the fall. With Huntsville State Park, both students and residents have the opportunity to enjoy hikes and marvel in the wonders of fall.

8. Vanderbilt University - Nashville, Tennessee

Some call it the Harvard of the South, but for the students who go there, it's Vanderbilt University. This prestigious university sits on 330 acres. The campus was designed as a national arboretum, known for its abundance of trees while sitting in the heart of Nashville.

9. Princeton University - Princeton, New Jersey

Right outside the capital of New Jersey is an university only few get to attended. Princeton University, located in Princeton, New Jersey is a campus which embodies autumn. The campus has been described as an infinite arboretum with varying species of trees. With 550 acres, and 190 buildings, one can only imagine the beauty this campus embodies.

10. Texas Tech University - Lubbock,Texas

Texas Tech University, often referred to as TTU or Tech, was built on 1,839 acres. Built between 1924 and 1951, the larger section of the campus boasts with Spanish Renaissance style, setting the perfect fall scenery with plenty of open spaces for students to relax.

11. Southern Methodist University - Dallas, Texas

With a grand total of 237 acres, centered within urban Dallas, is Southern Methodist University. SMU campus is an oasis, with 2,236 trees surrounding large buildings and a major transportation hub. Majority of the buildings are of Georgian architectural style, this (with the trees) provides a fall oasis within this urban jungle.

What is your favorite campus to visit during the fall?