A Run-Down Of The 74th Annual Golden Globe Nominations

"La La Land" leads with seven; new fall tv series sweep categories.

24
Fandango

The nominations for the 74th Annual Golden Globe Awards were announced on Monday morning, December 12, 2016 on NBC’s Today live from the Beverly Hilton Hotel in California.

Left to right: Anna Kendrick, Laura Dern, and Don Cheadle

Actors Don Cheadle, Laura Dern, and Anna Kendrick were in attendance alongside the Miss Golden Globe trio that make up Sophia, Sistine, and Scarlet Stallone (yes, Sylvester Stallone’s daughters). The Hollywood Foreign Press Association President Lorenzo Soria, and Barry Adelman Dick Clark Productions’ executive VP of television were all together to unveil this year’s nominees.

Comedian Jimmy Fallon of The Tonight Show will be hosting the 2017 award show this year. Fallon’s last hosting gig was for the Emmy Awards in 2010.

The big front runner this year is "La La Land" with seven nominations including best performances for both Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as well as screenplay. The film will be a high contender for best motion picture with the rest of the musical or comedy category.

"Moonlight," received plenty of attention with six nominations including best motion picture in the drama category as well as best screenplay. The film portrays a young man coping with his dysfunctional home life and comes of age in Miami during the "War on Drugs" era. The story of his life is depicted through three chapters in his life played by three different actors which made it difficult to contend for a leading male nomination.

Mel Gibson is up for best director for "Hacksaw Ridge," his first nomination since "What Woman Want," in 2001. “Hacksaw Ridge” is Gibson’s fifth directorial effort, following “The Man Without a Face,” “Braveheart,” “The Passion of the Christ” and “Apocalypto.”

Andrew Garfield starring in Hacksaw Ridge.

Martin Scorsese's "Silence," came up empty with no nominations. However star, Andrew Garfield picked up a nomination for another film for best actor in Gibson's "Hacksaw Ridge."

"Manchester by the Sea," has five nominations including best drama. Casey Affleck who is also up for best actor plays an uncle who is forced to take guardianship over his nephew after the boy's father dies.

Moving away from movies, the television category is lively this year with all sorts of new shows that came out this past fall. The drama category for the most part is all new series aside from "Game of Thrones." The other new contenders include HBO's "Westworld" and "The Night Of," Netflix's "Stranger Things" and "The Crown," and NBC's first nomination in 10 years since "Heroes," tear-jerker, "This Is Us."

Netflix series, Stranger Things.

In the comedy category, Donald Glover received a nomination for his show "Atlanta," on FX. “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story” miniseries carries the most nominations in the television category with five.

The Golden Globe Awards will air live on NBC on Sunday, January 8th from 8:00-11:00 p.m. ET/5:00-8:00 p.m. PT.

Here is the full list of 2017 Golden Globe nominations:

Best Motion Picture – Drama:
“Hacksaw Ridge”
“Hell Or High Water”
“Lion”
“Manchester By The Sea”
“Moonlight”

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy:
“20th Century Women”
“Deadpool”
“La La Land”
“Florence Foster Jenkins”
“Sing Street”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama:
Casey Affleck “Manchester By The Sea”
Joel Edgerton – “Loving”
Andrew Garfield – “Hacksaw Ridge”
Viggo Mortensen – “Captain Fantastic”
Denzel Washington – “Fences”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama:
Amy Adams – “Arrival”
Jessica Chastain – “Miss Sloane”
Isabelle Huppert – “Elle”
Ruth Negga – “Loving”
Natalie Portman – “Jackie”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy:
Colin Farrell – “The Lobster”
Ryan Gosling – “La La Land”
Hugh Grant – “Florence Foster Jenkins”
Jonah Hill – “War Dogs”
Ryan Reynolds – “Deadpool”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy:
Annette Bening – “20th Century Women”
Lily Collins – “Rules Don’t Apply”
Hailee Steinfeld – “The Edge of Seventeen”
Emma Stone – “La La Land”
Meryl Streep – “Florence Foster Jenkins”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture:
Mahershala Ali – “Moonlight”
Jeff Bridges – “Hell or High Water”
Simon Helberg – “Florence Foster Jenkins”
Dev Patel – “Lion”
Aaron Taylor-Johnson – “Nocturnal Animals”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture:
Viola Davis – “Fences”
Naomie Harris – “Moonlight”
Nicole Kidman – “Lion”
Octavia Spencer – “Hidden Figures”
Michelle Williams – “Manchester by the Sea”

Best Director – Motion Picture:
Damien Chazelle – “La La Land”
Tom Ford – “Nocturnal Animals”
Mel Gibson – “Hacksaw Ridge”
Barry Jenkins – “Moonlight”
Kenneth Lonergan – “Manchester by the Sea”

Best Original Screenplay:
“La La Land”
“Nocturnal Animals”
“Moonlight”
“Manchester By The Sea”
“Hell Or High Water”

Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language:
“Divines” – France
“Elle” – France
“Neruda” – Chile
“The Salesman” – Iran/France
“Toni Erdmann” – Germany

Best Motion Picture – Animated:
“Kubo and the Two Strings”
“Moana”
“My Life As A Zucchini”
“Sing”
“Zootopia”

Best Original Song – Motion Picture:
“Cant Stop The Feeling” – “Trolls”
“City Of Stars” – La La Land
“Faith” – Sing
“Gold” – Gold
“How Far I’ll Go” – Moana

Best Original Score – Motion Picture:
Nicholas Britell– “Moonlight”
Justin Hurwitz – “La La Land”
Johann Johannsson – “Arrival”
Dustin O’Halloran, Hauschka– “Lion
Hans Zimmer, Pharrel Williams, Benjamin Wallfisch – “Hidden Figures”

Best Television Series – Drama:
“The Crown”
“Game Of Thrones”
“Stranger Things”
“This Is Us”
“Westworld”

Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy:
“Atlanta”
“Black-ish”
“Mozart In The Jungle”
“Transparent”
“Veep”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama:
Rami Malek – “Mr. Robot”
Bob Odenkirk – “Better Call Saul”
Matthew Rhys – “The Americans”
Liev Schreiber – “Ray Donovan”
Billy Bob Thornton – “Goliath”

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series – Drama:
Caitriona Balfe – “Outlander”
Claire Foy – “The Crown”
Keri Russell – “The Americans”
Winona Ryder – “Stranger Things”
Evan Rachel Wood – “Westworld”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy:
Anthony Anderson – “Black-ish”
Gael García Bernal – “Mozart in the Jungle
Donald Glover – “Atlanta”
Nick Nolte – “Graves”
Jeffrey Tambor – “Transparent”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy:
Rachel Bloom – “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”
Julia Louis-Dreyfus – “Veep”
Sarah Jessica Parker – “Divorce”
Issa Rae – “Insecure”
Gina Rodriguez – “Jane the Virgin”
Tracee Ellis-Ross – “Black-ish”

Best Limited Series:
“American Crime”
“The Dresser”
“The Night Manager”
“The Night Of”
“The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Riz Ahmed – “The Night Of”
Bryan Cranston – “All The Way”
Tom Hiddleston – “The Night Manager”
John Turturro – “The Night Of”
Courtney B Vance – “The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Olivia Colman – “The Night Manager”
Lena Headey – “Game Of Thrones”
Chrissy Metz – “This Is Us”
Mandy Moore – “This Is Us”
Kerry Washington – “Confirmation”

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Felicity Huffman – “American Crime”
Riley Keough – “The Girlfriend Experience”
Sarah Paulson – “The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”
Charlotte Rampling – “London Spy”
Thandie Newton – “Westworld”

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television:
Sterling K Brown – “The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”
Hugh Laurie – “The Night Manager”
John Lithgow – “The Crown”
Christian Slater – “Mr. Robot”
John Travolta – “The People v O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story”