Academy Awards 2016: Reviewing The Nominees

Didn't get a chance to watch them? I did it for you.

15
The Boston Globe

As any movie lover will tell you, awards season is simultaneously the most exciting and most stressful part of the year, especially when it comes to the prestigious Academy Awards. Of course, in the end it doesn’t really matter who wins and who loses… When it comes down to it, your opinion matters far more than the Academy’s. The biggest award of the night is that of Best Picture, and since this year is a tough battle, here are my reviews of the nominees:

Bridge of Spies: I will admit, right now, that this is the only nominated film of the season that I have not seen. I have no desire to see it. As a film student and time to time critic, I have developed a certain set of tastes and tolerances, but wartime movies do not fit into either of those categories. Don’t get me wrong, I love Steven Spielberg and respect few other directors as much as I do him, but this wasn’t a film I particularly needed or wanted to see at this time, especially with the other contenders at my disposal. It has received rave reviews from both critics and personal acquaintances of mine, so I do not doubt that it is as good as any Spielberg classic, I just cannot bring myself to believe that it is the material made for a Best Picture award.

Mad Max: Fury Road: This was, hands down, my favorite film of 2015. George Miller’s directorial resurgence brought with it a much needed change in the action genre, both visually and in storytelling. To reboot a series that has been buried for over thirty years is a risky move for anyone to make, and it is something that has failed many times. Miller, however, passed this test with flying colors. He is a director with unmatched prowess, and when teamed with standout performances by Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron, there was nowhere to go but up. His unique and fast paced editing style as well as the hyper-saturated coloring of the film sets him leagues apart from the other contenders, though the mainstream feel of the film may unfortunately set it back significantly.

The Revenant: This film has one thing going for it, and that’s Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's partnership with Emmanuel Lubezki. I’ve seen The Revenant twice; the first time I was stunned by the visuals and genuinely enjoyed watching it, but during the second viewing I fell asleep. This is a movie that should be appreciated for its visuals, not its plot. Unlike Inarritu's last film, Birdman, a film that was deserving of every award it won, The Revenant is composed of long shots of Leonardo DiCaprio crawling through the snow, Tom Hardy spewing racist remarks, and Domhnall Gleeson doing, well… something or other. As far as cinematography goes, this film is a no brainer for that award. Best Picture? In my opinion, not so much.

Spotlight: I’d never heard of this film before its nomination for a Golden Globe. Not a peep. Then, suddenly, it was everyone’s top pick to win (though it didn’t). I had to see what all the fuss was about, and let me tell you, it wasn’t unwarranted. This movie had me captivated from start to finish. Every time I thought there would be a lull, that I would lose interest, something happened that reeled me back in and kept my attention right where the action was. This film speaks about such a controversial issue that may scare people off, but it’s worth it. One hundred percent worth it. I believe everyone who said this film should have won the Globes, and it would be refreshing to see it take the win.

The Martian: Look, this movie was a blast. It was funny, though why it was considered a comedy is beyond me. It was touching, it was thrilling, it made me root for Mark Watney from Sol 1. There aren’t a lot of movies that make you so wholeheartedly champion for the main character, while simultaneously finding attachments with the side characters back home on Earth, yet somehow Ridley Scott turned Andy Weir’s novel into a masterpiece. Did I adore this film? Absolutely. Is it Best Picture worthy? No.

The Big Short: I’m beginning to think I’m the only person among my close, personal film community that enjoyed this movie. I’m not championing for it, nor did I think it was anything close to a masterpiece. It was sloppily edited, often fell into a realm of confusing terminology I could not keep up with no matter how hard I tried… The breaking of the fourth wall was comical, and I can appreciate Margot Robbie in a bathtub any day. Was it a great movie? Absolutely not! Was it incredibly fun? Yes! This is a movie for laughs and just a good ol’ time, but beyond that, it doesn’t have much depth to offer, even despite its source material.

Room: A winner in every sense. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen acting of this caliber from a nine year old boy, but Jacob Tremblay delivers more than anyone could possibly have expected. It is astounding that he was not nominated for any awards this season. Though Brie Larson is no newcomer to this industry, no one can doubt that this is her best role. She’s got the awards to prove it. Lenny Abrahamson took the material he was given and turned it into a masterpiece, a world built within the confines of a shed. Few people could pull off the sheer emotion and depth that Larson and Tremblay did, and they have every right to this award.

Brooklyn: This movie touched me in the most beautiful of ways. Saoirse Ronan is an actress of the highest degree of talent, and she astounds me constantly with her skill and prowess. This touching tale of a young woman torn between the love of her new home and the loyalty she feels to her birthplace is not only something people can relate to, but a story that digs down inside of you and tugs at your heartstrings. Though the second half of the story deteriorates into an overused, quite boring love triangle of sorts, this movie is nonetheless a masterpiece and my second favorite film of 2015.