7 Weirdest Things About Moving Away After College

I don't need you or this small town (until I realized I won't live here anymore).

201
Between Two Rocks

A few weeks ago, I wrote about how I was going to be graduating college. Well, good news, totally did that. Better news, I'm moving into my first apartment this week. Bad news, moving is weird and exciting and scary and stressful all at the same time! Sure, I could write a list of useful tips about what to bring and what to leave behind but honestly, I'm not at that point yet myself. So instead, here's seven things that are super weird that happen right before you move away after college.

1. Everyone treats you like you're dying

Everyone from family friends to childhood best friends suddenly start treating you like you're on death's door. "Oh I just want to be sure I spend time with you... while I still can." "Who knows if or when I'll ever see you again!" "I just wish we had more time." These are all real things people have said to me as I prepare to move to the same city, an hour and a half away, that I lived in for college! Still, it's nice to realize that people back home care about you so much and, hey, a few of them may even offer to help you move in or give you an old coffee table or lamp to put in your new home so you'll remember them. It's weird, but kind of beautiful.

2. You start counting every dollar as "potential rent money"

Everything was fine until you realize that you have bills and rent and loans to pay right after graduation. Gone are the days of spending money on new shoes or cups of iced coffee and saving up for vacations. You're an adult who has to do adult things like buy groceries and pay for your own electricity and oh my god this is just a lot going on all at once. I hope you have a savings account so once in a while you can indulge; everyone deserves to buy themselves a chocolate bar every once in a while.

3. Suddenly, you become a Pinterest person

You said you wouldn't do it. You said you'd never make a board for your bedroom. But the tutorials about painting your desk with chalkboard paint are so cool... oh and there's some cool tips about how to keep plants alive in your kitchen, too! Look at all of these fun ideas for the bathroom... oh no. It happened. You can't escape it. Enjoy your personal hell of DIY crafts and money saving hacks for apartment living that you hate yourself for saving. Well, not really... okay yes really.

4. Thrift shops become indispensable

I have always loved thrift shops. When you grow up without a lot of money, they become the go-to place for everything from clothes to books to furniture. Well, some things never change. Furniture is especially expensive so being able to buy a table for three dollars instead of fifty really helps you out when it comes to thinking about every dollar as potential rent money. With a little elbow grease and some determination, you can pick up less expensive pieces and refurbish them for your new home when you are riddled with anxiety and have nothing better to do in the days leading up to your move-in day. I spent two weeks trying to find my perfect bedside table and found it in pretty bad shape and thanks to a paint brush, some dollar store sand paper and a paint sample (on sale!) from a local hardware store, it's now pretty and thrifty all at the same time.

5. You shed many tears packing up things you haven't seen since middle school

Look, middle school isn't a good time for anyone. If anyone says it was the best time of their life, they're either lying or had a TV show on Disney Channel. Still, I find myself getting more than a little misty eyed looking through my faded rainbow striped sweater that was probably truly never in style and my collection of young adult romance novels. You really start to realize just how far you've come when you're looking at who you once were as a collection of items you haven't seen in years. Though most of it will stay behind in my old bookshelf, there might be one or two stray teddy bears that find my way into my new home.

6. You have, at least, one emotional breakdown

At least. These manifest in different ways depending on who you are as a person. You may cry. You may scream. You might consider dropping everything and running off into the forrest like one of those people you see on cable news shows. You may even, like me, start watching Star Wars, after a good 20 year long life as a Trekkie with no feelings towards the competing francise at all. But you'll be okay. I promise. Go on Pinterest and find a cool project to do with some stuff you found at the thrift store. You'll make it.

7. You learn to let go

After your twentieth box of childhood memories, you kind of get into this very peaceful place where you realize that, hey, this isn't goodbye forever, just so long for now. Maybe you'll be back to call this place your home again someday and maybe not. What's important is that you're taking a big step and going out into the world on your own. The only way to grow is to go.

I'll be sure to keep you updated on all of my misadventures in moving, settling in and selling my soul to make rent every month! See you next week!