7 Ways To Make Long Distance Friendships Work

Some helpful tips to stay in touch with the friends that don't live so close to you.
162

Distance is one of the most common reasons that friendships fade out. Sometimes, the transition from high school to college can make it easy to lose touch with some of the friends you love the most. Nonetheless, it is not impossible to stay in contact! Here are seven ways to keep those long distance friendships alive!

1. Don’t stress about talking to them every single day.

We all have lives that become quite busy from time to time. Some days you may not remember to send your friend a simple text. This is completely normal as we all have these days. Nevertheless, your friends will still love you the same!

2. Make sure they know that you are always there for them.

Although it is not necessary to talk every day, it is important to reassure them that they can still reach out to you if they need to. The reason that most long distance friendships fail is because they end up as surface level friendships rather than the tight knit bond that they once were.

3. Look at pictures.

It’s always nice to be able to look at pictures people when you miss them. This way you can relive some of your old memories with them while you wait to reunite and create new ones.

4. Keep a running countdown of the next time you will see each other.

The easiest way to deal with a long distance friendship is counting down to when you will see them next. This way, there’s always something to look forward to and there is no guessing as to whether or not you will see them again.

5. Keep them informed about major events in your life.

The worst thing in a long distance friendship is to finally reunite and not know large pieces of information about their life. Whether you get a new bf/gf, lose a loved one, or even change your major, keep them informed. This will also give you an excuse to connect with them again.

6. Keep up with them on social media.

In today’s time this is the easiest way to keep connected to a person’s life without having to talk every single day. Most people check their social media everyday and this will give you a little update as to what they’re doing with their life.

7. If you miss them, contact them.

Don’t wait around for your friend to contact you. Chances are, they’re missing you as much as you miss them and they will appreciate that you reached out to them.

Long distance friendships are definitely difficult, but nowhere near impossible. These simple steps can help make the situation just a little bit easier for you and your friends!