7 Ways Sleepaway Camp Prepares Kids For College

13436 → 13210, what's the difference?!

361
Lindsay Cohn via Facebook

After going to sleepaway camp for 11 years, I didn't realize the advantage it would give me when attending college. While camp teaches children so many lessons, these 7 lessons are the most important in helping former campers adjust to college life quicker than others.

1. You’re used to living with people

Going to college and living with a roommate isn’t something that you haven’t done before. Spending summers at sleepaway camp typically consisted of living with at least 10 other girls and 4-6 counselors, so you are used to getting down someone else’s throat pretty easily. You didn’t get to choose who you were living with, so you had to make do with what you had, and always had to remember that “not everyone needs to be your best friend.”

This statement helps a lot when living with a college roommate as not everything is always rainbows and unicorns. There will be little issues here and there but having the prior experience of living with people helps you get through those rough patches.

2. Camp helped you meet people before you got to school

Whether your camp friend was going to college with you or your camp friend’s best home friend was going to spend the next four years with you, you didn’t have to walk into college not knowing anyone. This is pretty lucky and convenient and can help to ease those first semester nerves.

3. You're used to "dining hall food"

I don’t care what you say, but dining hall food, no matter where you are, isn’t exciting. If you spent your summers at sleepaway camp, you are definitely used to finding something that is remotely edible.

4. Shower shoes are not something new

For 18 years you are used to just getting in your shower at home without having to worry about who got in it last. If you went to sleepaway camp, your summers were spent with Floaties, Havianas or Crocs in your shower because camp showers equate to disgusting. When you go to college, you are faced with this same issue again, but at least you’re used to it already.

5. Your independence kicked in way before your fellow classmates

Going to camp without your parents from the time you were six years old taught you how to function on your own. You were expected to do everything for yourself at such a young age, that when you arrived on a college campus, independence skills were already in you. Your fellow classmates who never experienced life away at camp will undoubtedly go through those lessons - so consider yourself lucky for not having to deal with this.

6. Cramming belongings into a small space

Only having 6 cubbies to pack your 7 week life into has always been the most dreaded thought in the world. While it sucked for the time, being a camper and a counselor, it taught you how to become super practical and space efficient. That practice definitely helped when it came time to moving your entire life into a dorm!

7. You can live away from home and manage.

I will never forget all of the summers when my head counselors at camp told us how lucky we were for learning how to live away from home at such a young age. This is such a valuable lesson and taught us to appreciate the independence and growth we were exposed to at such a young age.