7 Unexpected Items You Need In College

Trying to figure out what you actually need in college, especially as a freshman, is a daunting task. My freshman year, I found myself ordering things on Amazon through November that I didn't expect to want or need. These 7 things are all ones that myself, my roommates, and my friends have continuously used in college that you might not think of when making your list.

1. A Brita

Britas are SO NECESSARY. It's so nice to be able to keep fresh, cold water in your room, so if you wake up thirsty in the middle of the night, you don't have to go to the water fountain, and you can make tea/oatmeal in your microwave whenever you want.

2. A plug in fragrance

Bath and Body Works and Target sell a bunch of these at decently low prices, so make sure you grab some. Dorms can get a stuffy smell because they're often old, small, or poorly ventilated. These will keep your room smelling fresh in whatever kind of scent you prefer.

3. A clip fan

This fan saved my life freshman year, and I still use it every night. This is a must if your room isn't air-conditioned but still helps if it is. Clip it to your bed frame or something near your bed to keep the air circulating, and keep you cool all night so you don't wake up sweaty because no one enjoys that.

4. Dryer sheets

I never used to use these at home, but at college they're necessary. I feel like college dryers make your clothes hold so much more static, which has given me many static shocks while trying to separate my shirts from each other. Take my advice on this one.

5. Extra long phone charger

You never know where the outlets in your room will be in relation to your bed. If you use your phone as an alarm clock like I do and want it close by so your alarm for that 8 am class doesn't wake your roommate up, grab an extra long charging cable from Target or Amazon to ensure that you can have your phone within reach.

6. Bluetooth speaker

A portable Bluetooth speaker is awesome for when you have people in your room or are playing volleyball or frisbee outside on a nice day. I got so much use out of mine since I got to college. JBLs are super high-quality, I recommend.

7. Steamer

There's not space for an iron in your room, and they can be complicated or hard to work with. Buying a small steamer that you can fill with water and plug in to any outlet makes getting wrinkles and creases out of your clothes so much easier.