8 Underrated TV Shows That Should Be Brought Back Immediately

RIP to my dreams.

171
ABC

If you know me, you know I love television. There is nothing better than curling up under a blanket in my fave jammies, remote in hand to watch the latest episode of my favorite shows. As much as I love my TV time and all those shows on Netflix I swear I'll catch up on, many people find my viewing habits rather odd, and maybe even flat-out weird.

To tell you the truth, I've never seen a single episode of Friends or That 70s Show (crazy, I know). I have no idea who Rachel is or who thought it was a good idea to name a coffee shop Central Perk. I've never been a huge fan of classic shows, or even trendy reality shows like The Bachelor or Riverdale.

To me, nothing screams quality television like those early and mid-2000s television shows that you've probably never heard of, or forgot you watched for five minutes ten years ago. So, I'm going to do you the honor and share my ten favorite and seriously underrated television shows that got the ax too early, and why they should be brought back, like, yesterday.

1. Desperate Housewives

Oh, Wisteria Lane. The place that four women called home on ABC's "Desperate Housewives," and my all-time favorite TV program. The show ran from 2004-2012 and featured the likes of Eva Longoria, Felicity Huffman, Teri Hatcher and Marcia Cross dealing with daily life and the struggles of being wives, mothers, and seductresses.

The show had plenty of drama and craziness every week, whether it be the latest murder, suicide, plane crash or natural event that took place on the not-so-quiet street. Housewives was definitely the pinnacle of Eva Longoria's career and served up tons of laughs, and sometimes even tears. Here's to starting a petition to bring back the ladies of Wisteria to our television!

2. Women's Murder Club

Ah, "Women's Murder Club," the ABC show that was gone too soon (RIP to the most badass show ever). Lasting only a measly one season from 2007-2008, "Women's Murder Club" served up a weekly dose of murder, mystery, and women's empowerment, with a nearly all-female cast.

The show, based off of the James Patterson series, starred Angie Harmon as a homicide detective, along with three of her friends, a medical examiner, a newspaper reporter and a young assistant district attorney, working together to solve crimes. The show was pretty much a flop, but many dedicated viewers (like me) were sad to see it go.

3. Men in Trees

If you haven't seen ABC's mid-2000s gem "Men in Trees," then you are definitely missing out. The show, set in the fictional town of Elmo, Alaska only lasted two seasons from 2006-2008, but the show's lead protagonist and relationship coach Marin Frist (played by the glorious Anne Heche) is long missed and never forgotten by its viewers. ABC should bring back this romantic show if not just for the hunky men dressed as Alaskan lumberjacks.

4. Kyle XY

"Kyle XY" was one of those once in a generation hit shows, at least in my book. The ABC Family (I mean... er, Freeform) science fiction show about a teenage boy (played by the snack himself, Matt Dallas) from another planet had my 11-year-old self-thirsting for more. The show lasted from 2006-2009 and was the launching pad for many stars you may be familiar with today, including Jaimie Alexander of NBC's Blindspot.

"Kyle XY" was the channel’s highest-rated original series from June 2006 to July 2008 but its ratings declined with the popularity of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager."

ABC, I am BEGGING you to give this show it's due diligence and bring it back. Secret Life was canned years ago, and as of what I've seen so far, Freeform's programming sucks. Do us and yourself a favor.

5. Life

NBC, please. PLEASE bring Damian Lewis back home. "Life" was truly an amazing show and deserved so much more credit than what it got. If it weren't for "Life," Damian probably would have never had the fame from Homeland. It was simply the best in television programming during its short run from 2007-2009.

Starring Lewis as Charlie Crews, a detective released from prison after serving twelve years for a crime he did not commit. The thrilling show not only focused on its different stories each week, but also the continuing search for justice for his own incarceration.

6. Pushing Daisies

I'm still mourning the untimely loss of ABC's "Pushing Daisies" nearly nine years after its cancellation. The show, which ran from 2007-2009, starred Lee Pace as Ned, a pie-maker with the ability to bring dead things back to life with his touch.

The show was a quirky, fantasy-mystery, comedy-drama extravaganza that I have never seen a show top to date. The show was marketed as a "forensic fairy tale", known for its unusual visual style, eccentric production design, quirky characters, fast-paced dialogue and gross situations.

The series received 17 Primetime Emmy Award nominations, with seven wins, including Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series for Barry Sonnenfeld and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Kristin Chenoweth. If that's not enough reason for ABC to bring it back, I don't know what is.

Netflix, you better jump on this one quick if ABC doesn't make a move.

7. Happy Town

"Happy Town" was one of those shows that you had to keep convincing your friends to watch because it was that good. Although the show only ran a grand total of 8 episodes before getting canceled mid-season, "Happy Town" was one of ABC's most interesting shows to date.

Running from April 28, 2010 — June 16, 2010, "Happy Town" told the story of the town of Haplin, Minnesota and a series of kidnappings by the "Magic Man." Unfortunately, the show was not quite a hit with everyone and performed poorly under its key demographics.

With a little reworking, I think "Happy Town" could one day see a comeback to our tv screens. At least we can cross our fingers, right?

8. The Returned

I still long for A&E's glory days of scripted television. Since the recent rebranding of their network away from original dramas to reality shows, my heart has definitely lost a couple pieces. A few years back A&E premiered their second best-scripted drama, under Bates Motel of course, and titled it The Returned (adapted from the French series, Les Revenants).

The show, which ran in 2015 with no season finale, starred the amazing Jeremy Sisto (yes, that Jeremy Sisto from Clueless) trying to come to terms with his daughter Camille's resurrection after having died in a school bus accident.

The residents of the small town in the show struggle to make sense of what is happening when people who have been dead for many years begin reappearing. The show was definitely one of the most interesting and mysterious shows I have ever seen on television, and one I still mourn pretty much every day.

Let's pray another network picks this show back up someday to give us some much-needed closure. Fox, hit me up if you want the details.