7 Underrated, But Essential Products For A Complete Beauty Routine

A complete beauty routine is important for a happy, healthy face.

39
newrepublic.com

One of the things I love about makeup is whether you are a self-proclaimed expert or an overwhelmed newbie, there are always new things to learn! For a long time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to beauty routines and it was very obvious. Since then, I've sifted through the beauty aisles and found the products I love (ok, "adore" is a better word) and ones that are truly essential. If you are still curating your beauty arsenal you need to include these beauty products that are underrated, but important pieces for a complete beauty regimen.

1. Moisturizer

A great moisturizer is a staple when it comes to a complete beauty regimen -- no matter your skin type. Have you ever thought about all the gross stuff that your skin is exposed to every day? Chemical pollutants, dirt, makeup -- they all take a toll on your skin! Moisturizer replenishes your skin and keeps it healthy; even if you don't feel your skin is lacking anything (so jealous if that is you, by the way). If you have oily skin it's important you too use a moisturizer! The active ingredient in most anti-acne products is salicylic acid, which works by stripping the skin of oils to decrease acne. Often times, these products strip the natural oils and as a result, your skin tries to overcompensate for dryness and creates excess oil. The solution? Give your skin the moisture it craves and allow it to restore itself. A light, budget friendly choice is Simple's Replenishing Rich Facial Moisturizer for about $9.99. If you have really dry skin (like me), I've come to love First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration for $30.

2. Face and Eyeshadow Primer

Primer is underrated but oh-so important. First, primer smooths over the little imperfections on the face and fills in pores, so your foundation goes on super smooth. It sets up your face to be the beautiful canvas that it is. Second, primer helps your makeup last all day. Those long days at work call for extra reinforcement to lock in your makeup and have you looking awake and energized all day. Don't forget about eye shadow primer to avoid eyeshadow creasing or rubbing off. This quick step will keep that smokey eye in tact! Smashbox is famous for their Photo Finish foundation primers that cater to every skin type. For eyes, Urban Decay Primer Potion is a cult favorite and for good reason. You can find both at Sephora, starting at $36 for face primer and $20 for a full size of eye primer.

3. Highlighter

Isn't highlighter just for the makeup professionals with chiseled contours and high cheekbones? Not at all! Whether you are a connoisseur of all things Sephora or go for a more natural look, a good highlighter should be in your beauty arsenal. Highlighter has been a big trend recently for a full makeup look. But even a subtle highlight reflects light and makes your skin glow in the best way possible! One of my favorite tricks for those light, or even no makeup days, is to add a touch of highlighter to the highest point of my cheek bones and along the bridge of my nose to make my skin look dewy and healthy. I love the champagne color and dewy look of Benefit Watts Up for $30. NYX Born to Glow is another great choice and is only $7.49.

4. Setting Spray

A setting spray is an easy and effective option for locking in makeup. A few spritzes and your face will be hydrated and looking fresh for the day. Setting sprays come in both matte and dewy finishes, but both do the trick! Bonus: Some setting sprays can double as a mid-day refresher for when you need a pick-me-up. There are plenty of options for setting sprays on the market. Urban Decay All Nighter spray is another cult favorite, and one that made them famous. A bit pricey sitting at $30, but it boasts long-lasting results. L'Oreal Infallible Pro-spray is a great option as well, as it is only about $14 and has many great reviews.

5. BB cream or tinted moisturizer with sunscreen

The skin on our faces can become irritated and dull from a full face of makeup every day. Just like you let your body rest on weekends, let your face rest too! BB creams and tinted moisturizers are light weight, lightly tinted foundation-like serums that are perfect for a Saturday or an early morning shift. Many of these creams contain sunscreen, which is exactly what you want and need to keep your skin protected and youthful. Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue gel cream has gained much attention in the beauty world for its ultra-hydration and velvety touch. Although on the pricier side at $29.50, it won't disappoint. An affordable option is Maybelline Dream Fresh BB with a 30 spf sunscreen, for about $9 at the drugstore. Burt's Bees also has jumped on the BB cream train with an almost all natural option and 15 spf for only $15!

6. Brush Cleaner

Our makeup brushes and sponges take a hard hit when it comes to all the products we use. If you aren't taking care of them, they become a playground for germs and bacteria that you then wipe on your face. Eww. Try the Sephora Collection Daily Brush Cleaner for about $9 for clean, healthy brushes!

7. Water

H20. The substance of life. Water. Yes, an essential part of a beauty routine! We all know we are supposed to drink enough water every day, but sometimes it's hard to actually do it. I had serious problem with drinking enough water, but finally, someone told me my skin was dry and uneven because I was dehydrated. That was the motivation that finally got me drinking my 8 cups a day and I can absolutely see a difference! Don't skimp on the water ladies, your skin will pay the price!