7 Types Of Customers You Will Encounter As A Server

These are just a few examples of certain characters you may run into if you work as a server.

26
Restaurants.com

The life of a server is never a dull one. We see people at their hungriest, angriest, happiest, saddest, etc. When a server walks to a new table and makes that first introduction, they are signing a pact with their customers. What follows will have a lot to do with customers present. Each new table has something different to offer. Here are some of the most common types I have encountered. Please feel free to add to the list!

1. The Angry Family

Moments before they entered the restaurant, something went down. Something really, really, reallyintense went down. Perhaps someone plucked Grandpa's nose hairs on the way to what was supposed to be a nice family dinner. Or maybe the preteen of the group is having a meltdown for reasons unknown even to themselves. Regardless, something is wrong and as the server, it is your job to dismiss the far too obvious tension and resist the urge to laugh when side comments are made about one party member's drinking habits as they order another glass of Chardonnay. You will most likely witness at least one walk-out or the aftermath of one. Walk-outs typically occur when a child is briskly escorted out of the restaurant by a red-faced parent. You know a walk-out was successful if the child comes back crying. Just refill their Sprite and move along.

2. The Ultra Serious Totally and Madly in Love Teenaged Couple

Their relationship is very serious. They've been together for six months and they will be attending the prom together this spring. They want a booth but will be sitting on the same side. They must hold hands and remain within close proximity at all times. They are going to order a large dish and barely eat any of it. Sacrifices must be made, though. It's true love. You wouldn't understand.

3. The Regulars

"Oh, I've been here before." "Oh, we come here all the time." "Tell [insert manager's name here] that the chicken was a little dry this time." These are just a few common phrases used by The Regulars. The Regulars will come to the restaurant often and make sure you know it. As a seasonal server, it can be tricky to take care of Regulars. For example, one time I was given a table of Regulars. I took their orders with no issue but when I brought the food to the table, the youngest member of the party was upset. She wanted what we call a Heart Pizza. Heart Pizzas are pepperoni pizzas shaped as hearts. What I didn't realize, though, is that Heart Pizza in her Pizza Menu language meant a plain cheese pizza but still in the form of a heart. Her usual servers would've known this probably. My bad. Learning specialized orders for 6-year-olds was not in the job description.

4. The Campers

Any and/or all types mentioned on this list can and will most likely fit into this archetype. If I've learned anything as a server, I've learned that one of the greatest sins a customer can commit is sit, drink, eat, eat some more and sit. And sit. And sit. And sit. I'm happy that you're enjoying the view. but we really need your table because it's 6:30 p.m. on a Saturday night and we already have four parties waiting to be seated. A least two of the four are about to throw hands. The other two won't stop harassing the Hostess.

5. The Lunch Break Gang

These people will come in large groups but will all arrive at different times. The very first member of the party usually arrives 20-25 minutes before everyone else and insists that they'll wait till everyone arrives. Eventually, though, they will crack and/or two or three more members of the party will arrive and orders will start to come as the party slowly settles in. Be sure to give all 12 members of the party separate checks. Remember, they're in a rush. Start swiping those Visas now.

6. The Intellectual

This type comes out for a nice quiet lunch with a self-help book in hand and will help themselves to free refills of Diet Coke for the next four hours. Halfway through you may stop by to refill their glass and ask how they're doing. They'll look up at you and sigh, "Everything was fine. Until it got loud in here." If only there were a rule that no one could talk at restaurants. The Intellectuals may finally thrive again.

7. The Housewives

Picture this:

Housewife A is meeting up with Housewife B but Housewife B is still on their way. Thirty minutes later, Housewife B will finally show up. The two will get up, hug and scream like they haven't seen each other since the Cold War, and talk. They will not stop talking for the next 25-35 minutes. Your job is pretty easy for the first hour they are there. After coming back to ask if they're ready to order for the third time, they'll finally order and the usual dining process will commence: They will eat, ask for boxes, the check and pay. Then they will camp for another hour or two.