7 Tips For A More Successful Semester

7 Tips For A More Successful Semester

Ways to make this semester worth the while!

38
7 Tips For A More Successful Semester
123rf.com

Whether you've already starting or getting ready to resume your pocket emptying, time engulfing, frustration peaking school schedule that you somehow just love regardless, here are some helpful tips on how to make this semester even more productive than the previous and overall make the best of the rest your year:

1. Device A Realistic System To Manage Your Time

We've all had the, "I wish there were more hours in the day" moments when we are time cramped with so much work to do and deadlines drawing near and we wish we spent more time getting work done - whether it be a school project or reading assignment or whatever. It's moments like this we realize that we could totally have managed our time to be better productive, but it's too late now and we're totally screwed! (OK, maybe not, but close)

The (not so) secret is to set both short and long term goals.

You could start by creating a list of all the goals you want to accomplish that day. A pretty straight-forward and realistic list that you can actually fulfill. Then create a time block for all the items on that list - how much time in estimate that it will take you to complete each task. Don't forget to give yourself a few minutes time interval between each task for any "unforeseen possible distractions" (remember, we're trying to be real here).

By the end of the day, you will be surprised by how productive your day was and how possible it is to get so much done when you plan it.

Do the same for longer term goals and instead of planning the hours of the day, plan step-by-step, the days of the week, or the month of the year... etc. You never know, that "New Year's Resolution you set out to accomplish might just become a reality.

So stop procrastinating and keep it moving!

2. Healthy Living Isn't Really That Far Fetched

I know, I know, I'm working on this also but it's actually true! Give yourself a healthy, well deserved break you hardworking human you!

Try planning about an hour (or less, no judge) to take some time out to visit your university's recreational center/ gym to get that tuition's worth! Beat the traffic and bike to school! (if possible) Save money, make life easier and stay healthy by meal prepping healthy food options! Eliminate toxic thoughts, mindsets and relationships! (because let's face it, mental health is just as important).

Find new doable ways to keep yourself healthy, mind and body, and watch your productivity level fly sky high!

3. Take A Break

Once a while, get up and take a walk away from your work. Go out, hang out with friends, have fun, refresh your brain and ease out the stress honey, it's only first week.

4. Take Advantage Of Your Resources

Professors schedule office hours for a reason, take advantage of that! Go meet with them, ask questions and if you don't have any course-related questions, start up a conversation - there's nothing a teacher wants more than a student who is utterly and genuinely interested. Get help from your Writing Center, attend tutoring sessions anything to make you a better student right?!

Go on class excursions, study abroad opportunities, attend school events (those free t-shirts aren't gonna wear themselves), get career counseling, attend career fairs, take advantage of any possible networking opportunity.

All these activities are available and accessible for you to exploit so do just that!

5. Join Study Groups

Chances are, you're not the only student needing extra help in that one class.

Join or start up a study group with like-minded individuals. As studies show, we actually learn more from our peers than we do in the classroom.

6. You Cram, You Crash

Don't make the mistake of trying to cram an entire semester worth of intensive reading material into one study session. Nothing good ever comes out of that!

OK, let's be serious now!

Instead of trying to squeeze all of that information into one seating and having it explode in your brain (or explode your brain) leaving you blanked out on test day, try taking at least a few minutes to an hour after each class revising the material. This way, when your finally prepping for your exams, the material doesn't seem foreign and it all comes back to you effortlessly.

One trick I learned was to re-write my lecture notes to refresh my memory and instill all of that information permanently in my brain because now, I am not just writing out what I hear or see on the Power Points, but I actually understand the material better the second time around. (And there's a whole lot of science behind that)

7. Studying Smarter > Studying Harder

Not everyone who spends their entire day and night in the studio or library produces the best work in class. You have to know what works for you!

Identify your study strategy and learning style and follow it.

Do you assimilate better in a more quiet environment? Does studying with note cards actually help you or do you just use them because it seems to work for everyone else? Can your brain properly function past midnight or are you having this all-nighter because everyone else is up?

You know yourself best and you know how best you retain information. If you tried one way last semester and if failed, try something else this time around until you find your style, and work with it successfully and unapologetically!

Good luck with your semester guys! See you on the other side.