7 Times You Secretly Love Adulting

7 Times You Secretly Love Adulting

Adulting is hard, but comes with some great perks.
188

When people hear the word "adulting", it's as if there is an automatic disgust and dread toward it. Adulting, or the act of being an adult, is that thing no one looks forward to doing. Maybe you get your first taste of it in college- maybe sooner, maybe later. Regardless, it can be tough. It's nice to complain about it with friends through growing pains, because misery loves company. However, I know there are those secret parts of us that enjoy taking on the responsibility of being a contributing member of this society. Truly, there are some pretty sweet things that come with the territory.

1. When you have the freedom to do what you want with your time.

Ron Swanson

It's nice to have no one tell you what to do or where to go and to choose how to spend your time. You learn the power of the word "no" very quickly. Sometimes a night in watching Netflix is way better than going out.

2. When you can make your own choices at the grocery store.

Justin Timberlake

As annoying as grocery shopping is, at least you can pick the food you want, right?

3. When budgeting leads to freedom and peace of mind.

Treat Yo Self

When you have money, learn how to manage it, and are disciplined, it's amazing how freeing it can be. You definitely have the power to save up for that new computer or Apple watch. It just takes some time and income. Being able to handle money makes adulting fun.

4. When you can choose who is allowed in your life.

Mean Girls

It's incredible to be able to surround yourself with people who love you, support you, and build you up. When people become negative, toxic, or selfish, you have the power to respectfully keep your distance.

5. When you earn that thing you worked hard to earn.

Leslie Knope

Adult life comes with pursuing the opportunities you always dreamed would come true. Even if you don't turn out where you thought you would, it's still exhilarating to achieve something you worked hard to earn.

6. When you have the power to make your voice heard.

President Obama

As Americans, we are lucky to be able to make our voices heard during some tough decisions. We can have a voice in electing people who we feel will best lead us. We have the power to call our politicians and express want for change. Want stricter gun control? Want reform? You have multiple avenues and ways to advocate for what you believe in- and it's important to do so. On top of that, voting and expressing your beliefs also feels pretty good.

7. When you get to contribute to making people's lives better.

Hand in Hand

Being an adult gives you much freedom to help make the world better. Whether it's through tornado relief efforts, donating to hurricane recovery in Puerto Rico, Texas, or Florida, or helping fundraise to help St. Jude find a cure for cancer, you have a way to help make those things happen. Giving back is a surreal part of adulting.

Adulting comes with some major perks. Adulting leads to more responsibilities, but you get to learn how to take care of yourself and give back to those who took care of you. You can make a positive impact on those around you and continue to learn. You may never get it right or be perfect, but does anyone ever?