7 Things We Learned From Our Freshman Year of College

We made decisions, both good and bad, and learned a lot along the way.

22
az616578.vo.secnd.net

The freshman year of college was for all of us, none-the-less, scary. No matter if one goes to school in-state, out-of-state, or even in a different country, frankly none of us had a clue as to what the hell we were doing. We didn't know the routine of college yet, we didn't know where our classes were within the first few weeks, no matter how many times we tried to tour the campus, we didn't know what our professors were like, and we didn't know if living with our roommate, whether it was a complete stranger or our best friend, would be a blessing or a curse. Simply put, the college freshman really didn't and still doesn't know much until they actually go through the experience of attending a university themselves. And now that we've went through it, I think it's safe to say there are quite a few things we have learned.

1. We will go to class looking god awful.

You would think going to class looking like Britney Spears would be anyone's worst nightmare, but actually no one really cares. We wish someone would've told us you're actually the outcast when you get dressed up for class everyday. The natural college attire is literally sweats for both girls and guys and then messy buns. And sometimes girls might even throw in mascara on a good day if they're feeling a little risky.

2. We will attend fraternity parties, whether it be one time or a million times.

Whether we are opposed to drinking or partying or not, we will all eventually attend a fraternity party. Whether it be due to our best friend's dragging us there, at our own decision making, or because frankly we want to laugh at other drunk freshman, it will happen. One can seriously not like partying, and I guarantee somehow they'll be tricked into going to a fraternity party at one point or another.

3. We will all act like idiots at one point.

I don't know what female would turn down Dave Franco's offer, but personally for any of us to say this to another human being would make us idiots. Surprisingly I've actually heard college freshman use this method and it's actually kind of frightening. So whether it be being the intoxicated freshman falling over the upperclassmen girls at the party asking for their numbers, or the girl in class who tries so hard to be teacher's pet, but frankly annoys the professor for not giving anyone else a chance to talk, we've all been there. There may not be one specific case for how everyone ends up acting like an idiot freshman year, but we're all guilty of doing it at one point or another. Thankfully sophomore year let's us learn from our mistakes.

4. We will gain the freshman-15.

The freshman-15 is undoubtably real. No matter how many times you hit the elliptical or even try to eat healthy (which is nearly impossible on a college campus) the pounds will catch up to you unless you have the fastest metabolism imaginable. I don't know what it is, we can walk five miles a day back-to-back going to classes, but the freshman-15 will continue to haunt us.

5. We will never have the potential to meet every person on campus.

We will never be able to know everyone. Even if one's campus is smaller than the average, the chances of this happening are probably still slim to none. It doesn't matter though, because we don't have to know everyone. When you become a college freshman you gradually come to the realization that popularity is not a thing here, or at least it shouldn't be. We are now older and more mature, and anyone should have the potential to be apart of our lives, and even if that only results in a few people, it's okay, popularity does not matter.

6. We will never be as smart as the professor, ever.

In high school we liked to think we were the smartest people ever. We acted cocky when our teacher said or did something wrong, and we always took pride in fixing their mistakes. In college though, it isn't like this. Sure, we can correct the professor if needed but we better do it nicely or they will snap back at us quicker than we can imagine. In college the motto goes without saying, "Professors know all."

7. We will probably find ourselves in ways we never expected.

After freshman year, we have learned a lot. We've gained more insight into ourselves and what we want in life, and we actually start to dream about our future more and more everyday. We have now learned how to be independent and we realize we are growing up, and have to act that way now on (at least for most of the time). We have found who we are in more ways than one, and freshman year allowed us to do that.