7 Things I Want My High School BFFs To Know After Our First Year Apart

I didn't forget about you.

9
Jennifer Salvon

We thought leaving each other in August was hard. We had no idea what we were in for. I thought of you guys, my best friends, every day. You would cross my mind in math class, at a party, in the dining hall, and even when I was with my new friends. Now that the wait is over and we are finally coming back together, there are some things I want you to know.

1. I've been okay with talking less

While we were apart, we were all very busy. The infamous group chat died down. We always planned on that group Skype call that never happened. Sometimes, the only form of communication we had with each other was a quick 'like' on an Instagram picture of you and your new BFF's. However, I learned to become okay with it. Maybe it was good for us. The lack of texts and calls and Facetimes were evidence that we were busy living our separate, beautiful lives.

2. I love your friends for loving you

Before we went to school, I thought I'd be jealous to hear about your new friends. Yeah, sometimes I wished that it was me on your Saturday night Snapchat story instead of the new friends you've made. I was surprised when I found myself smiling at the countless Instagrams with girls that you now call your besties. I've realized that I like them, and I like them a lot. I can trust them to keep you happy while I'm not there to do it myself.

3. Change is okay

Maybe things are a little different. Maybe along the way this past year we've lost a friend or two that we thought would be around forever. I'm not sad about it, though. As we were apart, we really began to realized who mattered to us. Sometimes friendships are just temporary and that's okay. The people who stuck around and were invested in our lives are the ones that our meant to be in our lives forever.

4. I've never loved you more

Distance makes the heart grow fonder. While we were so far apart, I realized just how much you meant to me. Back when we were with each other all day every day, we would argue and get annoyed at each other. Now it all seems so stupid because I realize how much I took you for granted.

5. I'm proud of you

Nine months ago, we were seated in a circle, panicking about the coming weeks. We didn't think we'd make any friends. We had no idea how we would pass our classes. Now look at us. We are no longer homesick. Some of us made Dean's List. We joined clubs and organizations that we never would've dreamed of. College is HARD, and we all made it out of our first year alive!

6. We aren't just kids anymore

As time goes on, our conversations will begin to become a little more mature. Our little 'fights' will become lesser. The things we used to find fun will now seem embarrassing or boring. This is a good thing, though. This past year we really had to grow up. We became independent and stronger. We are all better versions of ourselves.

7. We are picking up where we left off

As much as we have grown up and changed personally, our friendship is evergreen. The laughs will never stop. The inside jokes will still be exchanged. Best of all, the memories are here to stay. It's no secret that the trick to getting through the year is remembering that your friends are waiting for you after your last exam. I only hope that the whole summer is enough time to tell each other all of our crazy stories.