7 Things They Tell You To Bring To College You Don't Actually Need

Save money. Live better. Less Stress.

150

College is an amazing time in life where you finally get to break away from your parents and get some independence. With that freedom, comes the responsibility to be able to pack up everything you need in your dorm, classes, etc.

Here are some items you can mark off that list:

1. An alarm clock

While you think you need one, they aren't always helpful. I guarantee you after a couple of months of listening to the same alarm, your body won't be able to tell the difference in sounds. Plus, you most likely have a phone that can set multiple alarms.

2. A T.V.

While it is nice to have a T.V. for a bigger screen, it is an expense that can be used somewhere else. Because of the vast majority of time being spent on the computer, it seems only natural to use your internet user login to catch up on Game of Thrones.

3. Your entire closet.

Having all of your clothing to mix-and-match seems like an excellent idea until you get into your dorm room. At home, you could have a small walk-in closet space and a couple of dressers. In college, you have a small space (maybe four feet wide) to fit everything that hangs up. Off to the side, you have a small dresser to fit everything else. Of course, you could have more storage other places, but it just takes up more room.

4. Duplicates.

It is already stressful enough to know how much money you're spending on all of your college "experience," but when you get to your dorm and find out your roommate bought and brought the same microwave, it can become overwhelming. There is a simple solution to this problem. Your residence life should be able to provide you with the contact information of your roommate, including their phone number. Call them! It saves so much money and time returning duplicates.

5. Luggage

Yes, it is true that you will go on weekend trips or go home at some point, but you do not need to carry everything from your dorm back and forth. Having a small, foldable duffel bag will have just the right amount of room to make the trip.

6. Kitchen utensils (if you don't have a kitchen in your dorm room)

In many freshmen dorms, it is not customary for there to be a full kitchen. Therefore, it would not be appropriate to be sent with a blender, toaster, etc. when there is no room. Besides, most campuses make freshmen get meal plans which means hopefully you won't be eating in your room enough to need those appliances.

7. Excessive collections.

Everyone has something they collect that they want to bring to college. For me it was books. I had so many books with me that by the time I was done unloading all of them, I had almost no room for anything else. Luckily my mom is wise and took some of them back with her, so I had more space. Bringing a couple from your collection is fine, but do not over do it.

College is a fun experience in the overall sense. There are some times when you feel like nothing can bring you down, and others when you feel like you cannot go any lower. With all of this independence, anything can happen. Having a great dorm room is just one step in being able to enjoy your freedom.