7 Things My Mama Taught Me

7 Things My Mama Taught Me

The best lessons my mom has taught me over the past 18 years

55
7 Things My Mama Taught Me

I have always been a mama's girl. As I've grown older, I've come to realize just how similar we are- so much at times I think I might actually be the same person. I'm one of those girls who says their best friend is their mother and means it. I tell her everything and yes I mean everything: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can deny it all I want but I would be nowhere without her wisdom. Here are 7 things she taught me.

1. Say yes ma'am and no sir

This is probably the thing I got in trouble for the most as a kid. I, for some reason, found it impossible to say two words when addressing my elders. I hated being told to do this with a passion, but I guess after getting yelled at enough times it stuck. I'm that person that calls everyone ma'am and sir if they're older than 23. People get mad at me because they think I'm implying they're old, but it really is just a habit. It's the best thing I ever could have learned though, because strangers seem to think I'm the most respectful young lady they've ever met (and if you know me most of the time I'm outspoken).

2. Look presentable in public

This is another thing I hated (and honestly still do) being told to do. If not for my mom, I'd probably go out everyday with my hair un-brushed and a ratty t-shirt. She loves to give me this look before I'm about to leave the house and just that tells me if I need to go back upstairs and fix myself. Annoying? Maybe a little. OK a lot, but I can't count the number the times I've been thankful I made myself presentable before going out in public. The one time I go out looking homeless, I see that one person I needed to impress.

3. Judge a boy by how he treats his mom

This rule has been proven to me time and time again. A boy that treats his mom well is one that is going to treat his girlfriend well. He not only loves his mama but fears her and therefore knows what is expected of him. A boy, or should we say a man like this, knows how a girl is to be respected. A boy who lies to his mom is sure to lie to you.

4. Trust your gut

My mother is the absolute best at reading people from the very first time she meets them. Over the years I have developed the same skill so well that I can usually tell if someone is going to be a true friend or if they might stab me in the back. We have countless stories of telling each other a prediction we have about a person and it coming true a few months later. My g irl knows all about people's vibes.

5. The thrift store is a gold mine

America's Thrift Store is better than any department store at the Summit. We have always shared a love for shopping, and don't get me wrong: we love our expensive stuff, but she has taught me the importance of a bargain. 90% of our shared closet is from the thrift store and we get more compliments on those pieces than we do on anything name brand.

6. Friday Night Lights is the best show. Ever.

When she first suggested we watch FNL together, I was skeptical. But she had continued to rave over it, saying that this was her favorite show she had ever watched on TV. Now, anyone who knows me has heard my spiel on Friday Night Lights. I have bawled like a baby too many times to count watching it, but most importantly found something my mom and I will bond over forever. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

7. Stand up for yourself!

This one is probably the most valuable. My mother is the one to blame for my well known sassy attitude. I tell it like it is and I have many that hate me for it, but it has prevented me from being walked all over. If a person is being mean, especially a boy, I learned from her to speak up. She taught me my self worth and reminds me of it daily.

I get it from my mama.