7 Things I Learned From Warped Tour

7 Things I Learned From Warped Tour

7 things I should keep in mind for my next Warped Tour.

29
7 Things I Learned From Warped Tour
John Provine

The Vans Warped Tour has been going on for so many years, and I’ve not been to one of them until this year. Vans Warped Tour ’16 was my very first Warped Tour, let alone like only my third concert ever and I have never had so much fun in my life. Despite the sunburn, loss of voice, and sore body, I’d do it all over again and wouldn’t change a thing.

Well, there are a few things I would change but only to make Warped Tour even better for myself. So I have compiled a list for anyone who has never been to Warped Tour and wants to go.

1. You can never wear too much sunscreen.

I wore a ton of sunscreen at Warped Tour. I bought one bottle of spray-on sunscreen, used the whole entire bottle, and still ended up sunburned. So, for next year I think I’ll bring two or three, just in case.

2. Bring snacks.

Doors open at 11:00 a.m. and sets end at 9:00 p.m., and food is almost $10 for something you could get for $1. Bring snacks or you’re going to starve.

3. Bring more than one bottle of water.

I brought one bottle of water that I had intended to refill over and over, but there was really nowhere to refill it. Water is $3 a bottle and Gatorade is $6 a bottle. So, I mean, if you’re rich then by all means buy it at the venue, but you’ll see me next year with a few bottles of water.

4. Bands are going to overlap.

You’re not going to see all of the bands you love. You’re going to have to make last minute decisions on whether or not you want to see Knuckle Puck or Less Than Jake. (Presumably the times and bands will be different next year, but this was my dilemma of 2016.)

5. You're going to get separated from your friends.

Your friends are going to want to see different bands than you do. So, just go see your band while they see their bands, and you all can meet up later at both of your favorite bands.

6. Be prepared to get soaked.

It was a beautiful, hot, sunny day on July 6th, 2016 in the infamous Virginia Beach, Virginia, on the east coast. When all of a sudden, six hours in, we had a downpour that caused Warped Tour to temporarily be paused in the middle of Set it Off’s set (which they never got to resume *insert angry emoji here*) and the rest of the band’s sets were cut short.

I went from being soaked in sweat to soaked in water, my phone got messed up, and my signatures on my badge almost got erased. So bring a poncho or buy one for $5, it’s worth it.

7. Have a f*cking blast.

Towards the beginning of the concert, I didn’t participate much in the crowd. But by the end of the day, I was fist pumping, in the circle, jumping, and screaming the lyrics to my favorite songs.

I have never had such a better day in my whole life. I cannot wait until next year when Vans Warped Tour returns to Virginia Beach, and you bet your ass I’ll see you in the pit.