7 Things To Know If You're An Incoming Freshman At College Of Charleston

Charleston has it's ups and downs. I'm talking about the brickwork.
259

When I was an incoming freshman, I was somewhat clueless. As my first year is coming to an end, it's needless to say I've learned some things! Here are some of the quirks of Charleston it might be helpful to be knowledgeable of before you start your first semester at The College.

1. Everyone is cute!

Literally everyone!

2. The Cistern is just as beautiful as they say

It's a simply ideal place that’s right on campus. It’s the place to go when you need some fresh air, when you need to pet a dog, a place to meet up with someone, some drawing inspiration, or to picnic in the grass.

3. Is it an office or a house?

You will soon learn how difficult it is to differentiate between buildings. All of the professor’s offices look like actual houses. Any of these houses could be offices. Who’s to say anymore? I actually had a friend walk into an office and wait around for a solid few minutes before they were informed that it was, in fact, someone’s home.

4. The weather is perfect all of the time

I mean if you don’t count the other half of the time it’s either raining, so windy you can hardly walk forward, or unreasonably cold considering it was 70 degrees yesterday. And we don’t have to talk about the 100-degree weather in the summer. Otherwise, it’s lovely!

5. Don’t look up!!

If you aren’t focusing intensely on the ground as you walk on the sidewalk, you will trip on the bricks. Which is particularly difficult to do when there is a beautiful view in essentially every direction around you. Don’t worry about it, though, we all trip, we all understand.

6. Campus is a fashion show

There is a diverse realm of styles around campus, and they’re super inspiring. You have the classic people who live in sweats and still manage to look better than you. There are girls that happen to be on every trend before you even noticed it was a trend. And there are people that march very much to their own beat in terms of style, who are my favorites. No matter what, you can be sure someone's serving looks.

7. There are so many scenic places to study

Or just lay down and sunbathe. Charleston is full of peaceful places, especially once the constant sound of traffic and fire trucks become white noise to you. There are places near the water, like the Battery, or parks with ponds. There are so many cute cafes and coffee shops. And there are quaint little areas all around the city that are perfect for laying a towel down and getting some work done.