7 Things I'm Thankful For

7 Things I'm Thankful For

There are so many wonderful things in my life, and I don't say "thank you" enough.
13

1. My parents

I have not always been the most appreciative daughter. My parents would do anything, sacrifice anything, for me. They put me first. They support me in everything I do. They deal with so much of my unnecessary, pointless drama, and they love me despite how difficult I can be. I don't thank them enough, but they deserve all of the thanks in the world.

2. My boyfriend

I'm happier than I have been in a long time. I don't have the words to express my gratitude.

3. My education

So many people take education for granted, despite the fact that not everyone has the opportunity to go to school. I am lucky that I live in a country where being female does not prevent me from pursuing an education. I am lucky that I am able to receive financial aid and scholarships. I am lucky that I have a strong support system. Sure, I complain about classes and homework, and I stress out about assignments and exams, but deep down, I know that I am lucky to have these problems, because worrying about school isn't actually a problem, it's a privilege. Not everyone who wants to go to school is able to. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am.

4. My pets

Animals are amazing. I have a dog and two cats-- need I say more?

5. Words, and the people who write them

Sometimes I just need to escape to another world and forget about mine for a while. Sometimes I need to read something I can relate to in order to remind myself that I am not alone. Sometimes I want something to reflect on. Sometimes I want to learn about something new. I just love words so much, because they are capable of accomplishing so many wonderful things. I really appreciate the time, effort, and talent of the people who create beautiful things with words.

6. Music

Music is my go-to for stress relief. If I'm sad, I listen to sad songs and that somehow makes me feel a little better. If I'm angry, I listen to angry songs and turn the volume up a little too loud, and eventually I will calm down. If I'm happy, I can listen to any song about anything and get really invested in it. I love going for long drives and singing along to my music; that just makes me so happy. There is music for every moment.

7. My growth as a person

I have endured a lot in the past two or three years. There are many things I wish I could change. There are many things I wish didn't happen. I've seen the people I love struggle. I've struggled myself. But in the end, I have remained strong and I have persevered, and the hardships I've faced have not destroyed my confidence or my will. I believe that I have grown significantly as a person in spite of everything. I'm more mature, and I am able to see the world with a clearer perspective. I am able to think positively. I am thankful that the place I am in is not nearly as dark as it once was. I'm moving forward.