7 Things I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving ​​

7 Things I'm Thankful For This Thanksgiving ​​

With the current state of the world in shambles, it is important to remember that there's still things to be grateful for.

543

At the end of a year like 2020, it may be hard for some people to be grateful, or thankful. I know, for one, my year absolutely sucked. With so much change, adaptation, loss, and grief, it is so important, now more than ever, to try to find solace in the positive aspects of our lives and the 'okay' parts of this year.

1. Family

Family is the one thing I am absolutely most thankful for this Thanksgiving. After this past year and the past few months of my life taking a turn for the absolute worst, I have never relied more heavily upon or been prouder to be a member of my family. Though we may be small, we do really love each other and would do anything for each other. I am so grateful to have some incredible humans in my family at this point in my life more than ever.

2. Signs from the universe

I have never been a religious or spiritual human, and I'm still not. However, I've alwys believed in signs. After people die, seeing something that reminds you of them at just the right time is the particular sign from the universe that I am most grateful for this year, but I love them all. It makes me feel like i was meant to be on this Earth and that things were meant to be happening.

3. Yummy food

The best part about Thanksgiving is the yummy meal that is usually served. Because of some recent life events my family and i have unforunately endured, we are not in a celebratory mood, so we are having Chinese food this Thanksgiving. However, after dinner, we are going to a family friend's house for some goodies & I will probably have a plate of Thanksgiving food there, haha. There is just nothing like a plate thats about to break because of the weight of some delicious ham/turkey, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, veggies, and the best desserts. I am also grateful for the opportunity to have these friends that invites us over for years and years, as well as having access to feed myself always and not go hungry.

4. Shelter

This is something so many people take for granted. I live in a college town and for a college student, I live in a pretty nice apartment. I drive five minutes in any direction from my apartment though, and tehre are homeless people panning for a few cents. These humans arent as fortunate as I am and they are lacking something that should be a basic necessity. I am not taking my shelter for granted this Thanksgiving. It is something I am so grateful for.

5. Friends, that are like family 

Over the course of my life, there has been so many times I have looked to my friends as more of family than I have looked at some of my actual family members. I have to use this opportunity, and this Thanksgiving season, so publicly state my gratefulness for my good friends. You know who you are. I love y'all.

6. Opportunity 

Though 2020 has been a year full of cancelled events, there had been so many opportunities created out of our very virtualized life. Online jobs, classes, interviews, games, hangouts, and so much more were made possible. Also, with the apparent need for frontline workers and help with everything, jobs have been created just as fast as people are losing them. There was also many opportunities to heighten our communication skills, to spend time with the people closest to us, and find ourselves. So, quite frankly, I am beyond grateful for all the opportunity this crazy year brought us, this Thanksgiving.

7. The ability to be able to start over in 2021 

It's only Thanksgiving, but in a short month, we will be nearing the holidays and the new year. I, for one, am really looking forward to putting this year, which is the absolute worst year I have, and may ever have, behind me. The New Year is about more than crazy parties, cute dresses, and new year's resolutions that never stick, it's about taking in the fact that you made it through the past year. Looking back on a year is always so fulfilling because you see what you have made it through and accomplished. This reflection sets the precedent for the year ahead. That being said, make sure you set your sights high and take into account what you accomplished in the past year. Head into 2021 with a positive outlook. Hopefully, things will be more normal soon.