7 Things Denville, New Jersey Residents Know To Be True

Denville residents know there's more than meets the eye about living in The Hub of Morris County

3661
SmugMug

According to Urban Dictionary, Denville "is a town in northern New Jersey noted for its many lakes. People who live in the lake communities of Denville are members of their own cult, and often inbreed. People who live in other parts of Denville are generally rich and stuck-up. Denville is located in "The Hub of Morris County," which happens to be the 3rd wealthiest county in the nation. The cops in Denville are convinced that they serve a purpose, but all they really do is write speeding tickets for motorists on Franklin Road, which desperately needs to be a 35 mph zone, and not 25. Who cares if the people on Franklin get run over, I mean, it goes through Indian Lake; if a few cult members get taken out, it will be for the greater good."

Although known for their outrageous, satirical definitions, Urban Dictionary at least hits some valid points when it come to Denville. Residents know there's more than meets the eye and can relate to these seven things about living in The Hub of Morris County.

1. You know lake communities are indeed cults.

Did I say cult? I meant family...(but here's looking at you Indian Lake!) I had the privilege of living in Indian Lake for a few years and my eyes were opened to "the other side." In all honestly, they're generations of fun-loving families that take their pride in swimming, drinking and having a good time - all the time. If you've never gotten to experience life on the lake, you just don't get it.

2. You always go the speed limit on Franklin Road.

You've gotten stopped. Your mom, brother, football coach and English teacher have gotten a ticket. You were a passenger to someone slamming on the brakes at the sight of a police officer. You share your road rage with those that actually follow the speed limit. All in all, Franklin Road just isn't meant to be a 25 mph zone.

3. You know living "on the other side of Route 10" is basically another world.

There's a simple answer to "Where do you live?" when talking to a fellow Denville resident. Either "near/on _____" or "across Route 10." It's basically another world that us from the "other side" still get lost when driving around. It's also a shame how "far" they are from everything.

4. You've attended or walked in at least one parade down Broadway.

As a child, you dressed up with Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts, wore your Little League or softball uniform, rode in the back of a float, tossed out some candy, marched with the band and loved every second of people cheering and taking pictures as you passed. If not, you've been on the other side cheering, picking up the candy, waving to and taking pictures of everyone you knew (which is usually half of the people).

5. Denville Dairy is a staple in your diet.

Denville Dairy's homemade ice cream is out of this world and is practically Denville's claim to fame. Everyone from surrounding towns visits for the ice cream and knows it's a hopping place. Who cares if you got number 96 when they're only on 37. It's worth the wait and heck, we'll even buy a couple pints to bring home.

6. You've never used the walkway over Route 46.

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a cage, it's a...it's a...walkway? Be honest, you were a little concerned to see that thing being built up over Route 46. Now that is there, you've still never used it to cross the highway, but people do use it....right? Yes, middle-schoolers safely cross the highway to Burger King all the time.

7. You've spent plenty of time at Gardener Field.

Gardner hosts plenty of events from sports, movie nights, 4th of July fireworks, picnics and more - and you've been to plenty of the them. If you weren't allowed to go the field to watch the Denville Blue Angles football games in middle school, it was basically the end of the world. Every weekend you were there for a softball or baseball game and the whole family came out to watch. The best Knolls soccer games are the ones under the lights at Gardener. You hit your first home-run, made friends at the playground, ate pizza under the pavilion, caught Pokemon, played basketball and even moved a "closed field" sign so you could play around.

All in all, you're glad you grew up in or have even lived in Denville your whole life. It's a safe, family oriented community that's given you plenty of memories. You're proud to call Denville home.