7 Things All Choir Girls Can Relate To

7 Things All Choir Girls Can Relate To

The struggles and perks of a constant singer.

92
7 Things All Choir Girls Can Relate To

I'm embarking on my eighth consecutive year of being a choir girl, and I can still confidently say to this day that joining the world of choir is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I met my dearest friends in choir, I've discovered my talents and passions there, I've learned to truly appreciate music, and I've developed not only as a singer, but also as a performer in general, all thanks to choir.

With that being said, here are "7 Things All Choir Girls Can Relate To."

1. Got black flats?

Need to borrow some black flats? Go right ahead, I promise I have plenty. On second thought, just go on and take a pair. Or two. I mean, hey, they go with everything. Trust me, I know that one from experience. One thing all choir girls have a surplus of is black flats, considering it's the only shoe appropriate for concert wear.

2. We loved Pentatonix first.

You might have first discovered them from their Daft Punk video or from their recent Christmas album "That's Christmas to Me", but as for us choir girls, we've been watching PTX since our choir directors first introduced them to us when the gang of five were merely just Youtubers and nobody knew who they were yet.

3. Daily diet essentials

What is the daily diet for your average choir girl? Cough drops, water, hot tea, water, hot tea with honey, water, soup, water, water, water—basically anything that will relax our sore throats due to constant singing (multiply this by ten if it's concert week).

4. Men's Choir

Sure, muscles are impressive, and sports are great; don't get me wrong. But in our opinion, nothing is more attractive than a man who can sing—and Men's Choir is full of them. Whether it's when the basses hit those deep, low notes with ease, or when a rich tenor voice floats up effortlessly to reach the higher ones, there's nothing quite like watching a quality Men's Choir perform. I guarantee all choir girls can attest to that. We choir girls don't daydream of a man with the best body or best athletic ability (even though these things can be nice additions); we long for a man we can sing with, harmonize with, and someone who will serenade us with his amazing voice.

5. We work hard.

Voice lessons. Workshops. Countless hours of rehearsing. Choir girls—and boys—work hard. The voice is so much more than what meets the eye, or, rather, the ears. It's like any other muscle—you have to train it regularly with the appropriate techniques. There's a huge mental aspect that is involved with the voice, along with correct breathing, placement of sound, and a lot of other crazy things you would never think would be needed to be a good singer.

Likewise, a successful concert is so much more than just learning songs and then singing them on a stage We take into consideration every detail ranging from vowels, pronunciation, expression, dynamics, and so much more—and it's all to accomplish a single, unified sound with the combination of a sea of voices. The tiny changes we make probably go unnoticed to the non-musicians that sit in our audiences, but what matters is that we know difference they make, and our audiences will appreciate it too, even if they don't know why.

6. "That just gave me chills."

We all know the feeling of those cold chills that wash over you when you hear a giant, brilliant, perfectly-in-tune chord that resonates throughout the entire room; or when a voice is so filled with heart and soul that it makes you feel the words that the voice is singing; or when a beautiful melody makes you melt. The chills are real, but that's okay, because that means good music is nearby.

7. Music is life.

What all choir girls throughout the world share is passion, love, and appreciation for music. We spend time not only rehearsing our songs, but trying to analyze the meaning behind them so we can take those meanings to heart, relate them to ourselves, and communicate that to our audiences. We know all the hard work that goes into creating good music, and that's why we're so in love with it. That's why we constantly sing even though we already just spent five hours singing in a rehearsal. That's why the majority of our friends are fellow musicians, because we never stop talking about how much we love music, and that can get annoying to people who don't getit.

For us music is a science, an art, math and literature, a hobby, a passion, and a calling. Basically, for us, music is life.