7 Thing Introverts Wish Their Teachers Understood About Them

What we would say if we wanted to talk

191
VideoBlocks

If you’re an introvert like me, the impending start of the school year probably conjures up feelings of both excitement and reluctance. You’re probably eager to stuff your brain full of more knowledge and interesting facts, but the beginning of school also means a return to the world of group projects, oral presentations, and many other social activities you are forced to endure. For all of my fellow introverts out there preparing to hit the books, here’s a list of things we wish our teachers knew about us, if we only had the drive to mention it to them.

1. Group projects are the bane of our existence

Nothing much sends a shiver down an introvert’s spine like the words “group project.” Being forced to talk to people we don’t know or like is bad enough, but having to work with them to get a good grade makes matters worse. We somehow always end up at the mercy of extroverts who insist on being in charge and doing the project their way, when the introverts know that it would be much faster and make much more sense if we just did it ourselves.

2. We also want to avoid study groups at all costs

In my experience, I get absolutely no studying done when I have to study in a group. The only way I’m going to make any progress and remember anything is by looking at the information alone, where it’s quiet and away from the extroverts who study out loud.

3. Tables and grouped desks make us uncomfortable

Walking into a classroom and realizing that we have to sit in groups is a nightmare scenario for introverts. It automatically implies that we have to make eye contact, endure everyone looking at us, and be forced to participate in group discussions. We will be much happier if we sit in rows where we can observe without being observed.

4. Classes where we have to speak to get a good participation grade are downright scary

Knowing that we have to talk in class is the worst feeling in the world. Class is a much more welcoming place to introverts when we know that we can walk in, sit down, and earn participation points just by paying attention. There are many more ways to show interest than speaking up. Trust us, we are still learning, even if we don’t have much to say. If we have to talk to others, let us have a conversation with one other person we trust. When we feel comfortable, we will speak as much as anyone else.

5. Oral presentations are anxiety hell

Many introverts know the feeling of gripping anxiety the night before a presentation. The spotlight and the podium can be very scary places for introverts, and we feel nothing but relief when it’s over. We understand that speeches and presentations are a necessary part of school and life; we just hope that people remember to treat us nicely because it’s not an easy thing for us to do.

6. We love to do quiet activities that make us smarter

We love coming to school on days when we can take notes to a lecture, do some puzzles and brain games that challenge us, write down our thoughts, and read a good book. We do our best learning when it’s calm and quiet and we can hear ourselves think.

7. We’re thinkers and have a rich inner life

Introverts are prolific thinkers. What others say out loud, we leave unsaid, allowing us to build icebergs of thoughts and ideas that we like to visit and explore. This is what allows us to learn and make new connections. Being encouraged to think rather to talk is how we take in information best. It's how we thrive.