7 Songs To Quell Your Anxiety

7 Songs To Quell Your Anxiety

The end of the semester has anxious people struggling, but you don't have to.

162
7 Songs To Quell Your Anxiety
Frisky

The end is near.

The end of the semester is approaching and I have been finding my already anxiety filled body thrusting into hyper drive. With all the stress and attempts to finish off of a semester with a desperate attempt to turn 89 percent into 90 percent, everyone is feeling a bit more anxious than they care to admit. What are your summer plans? How am I going to pass this final? What do you mean the professor changed everything with three weeks left of the course? These are the thoughts that have been whirling through my head, and lately I have been resorting to the age old escape to quell the anxious brain: music.

Music has this ability to connect to different parts of people and impact different processes in our brain. In 2013 the NCBI center did a research study on the impact of music on anxiety patients. As it turns out, there is a significant benefit to listening to music to reduce stress and anxiety. There have been many different follow up experiments conducted, all with fairly similar results. Music helps reduce anxiety.

1. "When You Can't Sleep at Night" by Of Mice & Men

Don't let the band scare you and think that this song is heavy metal or rock. This song is a lullaby that is sure to bring down a racing mind and wrap you up in the beautiful lyrics. The slow melody will slow a heart beat, forcing tension out of the body and mind. Anxious brains can rest easy and relax, though it may make you a little tired. The song is called "When You Can't Sleep at Night"for a reason. I have a three hour loop of this song that I use when my little anxious mind will not stop long enough for me to fall asleep, and it does the trick.

2. "Boomerang"by The Summer Set

If you ever see me dancing on the sidewalk on the way to class, there is a 75 percent chance that it is to this song. Upbeat and full of historical references, this "kind of love song" tells a story is such a positive way that you cannot help but smile and enjoy the three and a half minutes.

3. "I Lived" by OneRepublic

If you see me dancing on my way to class, the other 25 percent of song choice is this one. "I Lived" reminds anyone who listens to it to make the most out of life and "own every second that this world can give." Don't stress about the little negative or overwhelming things that are happening, focus on the best parts of every day.

4. "Sun" by Sleeping at Last

This song is one of those beautiful melodies that makes you just stop. When I listen to this song (and it is not on a three-hour loop to put me to sleep like "When You Can't Sleep at Night"), all I can focus on for four minutes is the singer's voice and how relaxing it is against the melody. The milk on honey sound is sure to slow a heart beat a bit, giving your brain a break.

5. "Concerning Hobbits"by Howard Shore

To those of us who love movie scores or just instrumentals, "Concerning Hobbits" is an absolutely beautiful piece that uses a tin whistle and violin to give you the feeling of green grass and beautiful relaxing skies. You don't need to be a Lord of the Ring's fan to love this song and have it help relax your over active brain.

6. "Bye Bye Bye" by *NSYNC

Say goodbye to your anxious brain and take a three-minute break to bust out your best 90's dance moves with this throwback that is sure to give you a smile. No one can resist the temptation to let their inner boy band out and throw out some awesome dance moves. Dancing is good for the mind, body, and soul. Let it all go for a second that just let the good ol' 90s flow through you.

7. "Sweet Disposition"by The Temper Trap

I am a huge Temper Trap fan, so picking one song that helps me, personally, reduce my anxiety was very difficult. "Solider On" is great is you are at a point where your anxiety and stress are just too much to handle, but "Sweet Disposition" is one of those songs that just brings a smile to your face. The music video is oddly relaxing enough to ease up some anxiety itself.

When all else fails, take a break and play some relaxing zen music or white noise. Spotify has plenty of playlists to choose from, and there are even some relaxing playlists on youtube! This one here is a three-hour loop of relaxing piano music, but there are so many options it is easy to cater to what makes your heart rate slow and your mind relax!

Music is magical. It has such an effect on how we see and feel things. Anxiety is one of those things. IT has the ability to severely impact lives, my life as well. As the semester draws closer and closer to its end, I know that many people struggle with finding ways to keep calm and not panic. When in doubt, turn to music. I bet if you haven't tried it, you would see a difference in how you deal with the end of the semester. Don't let the final stretch to reach the finish line of the school year get you down, and if it has, make your own soundtrack to bring you back up. Maybe you will find something magical in the melodies and lyrics that helps you pass the semester with flying colors.