The 7 Scariest Disney Channel Original Movies

It's time to get spooky.

419
Disney Channel

Halloween is just around the corner, and with the fast approach of this popular holiday, there is quite a bit of preparation to do. Costumes must be chosen, RSVPs to parties must be sent, and scary movies must be watched. Whether you choose to go out or stay in, be sure to find time to tune into some Disney Channel classics for a spook with a touch of nostalgia.

1. “Smart House” (1999)

Not originally marketed as a horror film, “Smart House” is, in my opinion, one of the darkest films in DCOM history. The technological revolution has been portrayed as a dark future for quite some time, and “Smart House” illustrates this to a T. The premise of the film focuses on a family who wins a home that has the capability to anticipate the needs of its residents. However, the maternal operating system soon gets out of hand and the family becomes prisoners in their own home. Terrifying.

2. The “Halloweentown” franchise (1998/2001/2004)

You simply cannot go wrong with any of the films from the beloved series. Disney Channel’s take on the “Harry Potter” obsession focus on a female witch and her struggles to defeat the forces of evil while living a “normal” life. These films provide a more light-hearted Halloween feel. The cast of characters ranges from ghouls to goblins, and has laughs, charm and nostalgia to boot.

3. “Don’t Look Under the Bed” (1999)

Arguably the scariest DCOM in existence, “Don’t Look Under the Bed” revolves around Frances, a young girl being singled out by the Boogeyman. The monster turns out to be her imaginary friend that she outgrew when her brother became ill and she chose to stop “believing.” This film tackles all children’s worst nightmares: losing friends, having your family not believe you and especially the monsters that live under your bed. Underneath the superficial fears, there are legitimate terrors revolving around growing up and accepting adult responsibilities. Disney really sold this one.

4. “The Even Stevens Movie” (2003)

Countering the evident horror of “Don’t Look Under the Bed,” this film’s scary content is not so easily acknowledged. The plot of “The Even Stevens Movie” centers around the Stevens family taking an all-expenses paid vacation. However, the vacation is set up and the family is put through challenges and filmed for the amusement of a television audience. The psychological toll the trip takes on the family is evident, and the “Truman Show”-esque theme of reality television make this film an interesting juxtaposition to the current state of visual entertainment.

5. The “Twitches” franchise (2005/2007)

Another more light-hearted film, the “Twitches” movies focus on twin witches (hence the name). The first film focuses on the two becoming acquainted, and their “fairy godparents” explaining their birthright to save their homeland. The second film gets slightly more scary, with a large black cloud (The Darkness) they once defeated returning to terrorize their family. These two movies also have some “Harry Potter” vibes, but again focus on female witches and the bond of sisters while intertwining a spooky storyline.

6. “Now You See It…” (2005)

Delving again into magic and sorcery, this film focuses on a young magician and his efforts to win a competition with his magic tricks. The scary aspects of this film are not just in mystery and intrigue, but in the character’s nefarious motivations. The young magician, Danny, seems to have real magical powers, and the the professional magicians running the magic show attempt to eliminate him as competition. Danny is placed in multiple situations of peril that of course he is expected to escape using “sorcery.” The older magicians trick Danny and win his trust, but ultimately wish to sabotage him. This dangerous environment puts audiences on the edge of their seat.

7. “Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior” (2006)

This film explores a common DCOM theme: the unknown birthright. Wendy Wu is a popular American teenager who is informed that she is the reincarnation of an ancient female warrior and she must protect the world from an impending evil. This original declaration is terrifying enough, however, Wendy must train and essentially give up her seemingly normal life for this birthright she is hesitant to believe in. Wendy is torn between wanting to be a regular high schooler and accepting this incredibly daunting and dangerous challenge. On the night of homecoming, she engages in a battle to save the world and test her strength, but what makes this so impressive is her complete transformation from a spoiled teenage girl to a strong young woman.