7 Sanity-Preserving Verses For Finals Week

The Bible verses you need to take with you into finals week. Thank me later.

8
Micaela Manchester

With finals approaching so quickly, we as college students tend to stock up on coffee, macaroni and cheese and the occasional bottle of wine. Finals are the time for elevated stress levels and quickly diminishing levels of patience. As important as comfort foods and copious amounts of caffeine are, here are a few more essentials to carry you through finals week with a shred of dignity and grace leftover afterward. I have faith in you, your friends have faith in you, your family has faith in you, and you have your faith in God. What else could you possibly need with finals looming over your head? Relax.

Colossians 3:23

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men."

How does this apply to finals? Let me tell you. You might be working hard for finals in order to keep your parents happy, keep your scholarship money flowing, or maybe you're studying hard for your own benefit. All of those reasons are fine and dandy, but don't forget to do it for the most important reason. Do it out of thankfulness to God for even giving you the opportunity to be educated and tested on that knowledge. There are so many people in this world who would love to be stressed about finals and they may never be given the opportunity to be. Don't take your opportunity for higher education for granted. Work hard out of thankfulness for these opportunities.

Ezra 10:4

"Rise up; this matter is in your hands. We will support you, so take courage, and do it."

With the upcoming finals looming over our heads, it is so important to remember how much support we have. Our parents, friends, siblings, significant others, and school advisors are all working so hard to support us during such a high stress time. God has always been your strongest and most steadfast supporter, even during finals when it feels like everything is impossible. So, go ahead, take courage, and do it. You have the best support system of all time to fall back on.

1 Peter 5:6,7

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you."

There isn't a shortage of anxiety at the end of the semester, am I right? Anxiety, nerves, sadness, feeling overwhelmed... they're all a part of the end of the semester. Everyone feels this way during finals, so sometimes it might feel like you can't vent to your roommates and friends about your frustrations. Lucky for you, you don't have to bottle it up and hold it in. Get it off your chest by praying about it.

Matthew 11: 28-30-28

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

We're all tired, worn out, sleep deprived and exhausted. Whatever term you choose to use, it describes us as students. Sleep is a luxury that a lot of us can't afford (time wise) right now. Finding "rest" by spending some time in God's word, may very well save the few ounces of sanity that you have left. Pair it with some sleep, and you'll be golden.

Romans 8:28

"And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

God doesn't specifically talk about the stresses of final exams, presentations, or papers in the Bible anywhere that I've seen yet, but His word is applicable to our work as students. By saying "..in all things, God works for the good..", we can go into our last few weeks of school confident in the fact that our hard work and God's involvement in our student lives will bring us to whatever place He needs us to be at. The Bible doesn't promise "A's" on every final, but I can promise that the grades you receive won't be on accident. Even if you don't get the grades you were hoping for, you can go into Christmas break with the confidence that your academic status is going to put you right where God wants you to be in your life. Remember, finals aren't about you and a 4.0 GPA, they're about pushing you to become the compassionate and capable professional you'll need to be in your future field.

Joshua 1:9

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Strength and courage always seem to be in short supply when we are exhausted and feel ill-prepared. You've put in another semester of hard work and preparation for these finals, go out and accomplish what you've worked so hard for in the past few months. The verse is pretty self explanatory, be strong and courageous because you're not alone in any of it.

Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

My absolute favorite verse was saved for last. During the transitional and terrifying first few years of adulthood, we sometimes wonder how it's possible that everything is going to turn out okay. God promises to provide us with hope and a future, even amidst the negative feelings that finals tend to evoke. He has it all figured out so that you don't have to. Let Him worry about how you'll make it to graduation, find a job, provide a home for those you love, and carry on through this life. The best you can do is to keep working to the best of your ability and put your faith in God's plan. He's not going to let you fail. You are entirely too loved for that.