7 Rupi Kaur Poems For The Situations You're Struggling With

Rupi speaks words of truth and words of wisdom.

1885
Unsplash

Rupi Kaur is a Canadian poet, writer, and illustrator. After her first book of poetry and prose, “Milk and Honey," sold over a million copies, she began writing another. “The Sun and Her Flowers” is Kaur’s second poetry book, and it’s even better than the first.

Her words are not only beautiful and powerful, but they are able to touch your heart in a special way that makes you want to keep reading. When I’m going through a difficult situation, I find it helpful to read poetry or quotes. Something about being able to relate to someone else’s words and knowing you’re not alone during a tough time is relieving.

Going through a tough time yourself? Or just love Rupi Kaur? Here is a poem for almost any situation you might be dealing with.

1. When you don't feel good enough

“if you are broken

and they have left you

do not question whether you were

enough

the problem was

you were so enough

they were not able to carry it”

Just because someone walked out of your life doesn’t mean it’s your fault. Sometimes, people aren’t even able to deal with their own issues, let alone the issues of someone else. This does not mean that you weren’t good enough.

2. When you give your all but get nothing in return

“you treat them as if

they have a heart like yours

but not everyone can be

as soft and as tender as you

you don’t see

the person they are

you see the person

they have the potential to be

you give and give till

they have taken everything

out of you and leave

you empty”

It’s hard to remember not everyone is going to be as kind as you are. Not everyone is going to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Protect your heart and remember that you are important, too.

3. When you’re being strong

“the world

gives you

so much pain

and here you are

making gold out of it”

Life is not always easy. It will kick you down time and time again, but it is so important to continue getting up. Take the pain the world is throwing at you and use it to make yourself strong.

4. When you’re falling for someone

“I know I

should crumble

for better reasons

but have you seen

that boy

he brings

the sun to

its knees

every night”

Falling for someone new is scary and unpredictable, but embrace the butterflies and excitement.

5. When it’s time to better yourself

“it was when I stopped searching for home within others

and lifted the foundations of home within myself

I found there were no roots more intimate

than those between a mind and body

that have decided to be whole”

The minute you realize the importance of finding happiness within yourself rather than in others is when you will be happy. There is no better relationship in your life than the relationship you have with yourself.

6. When you’re going through a breakup

“it isn’t what we left behind

that breaks me

it’s what we could’ve built

had we stayed”

Going through a breakup sucks – I’m not going to sugarcoat it. Although it hurts looking back at the memories you made with that person, thinking about the future you could have had together is even harder.

7. When the year is over

“it has been one of the greatest and most difficult years of my

life. I learned everything is temporary. moments. feelings.

people. flowers. i learned love is about giving. everything.

and letting it hurt. i learned vulnerability is always the right

choice because it is easy to be cold in a world that makes it

so very difficult to remain soft. i learned all things come in

twos. life and death. pain and joy. salt and sugar. me and

you. it is the balance of the universe. it has been the year of

hurting so bad but living so good. making friends out of

strangers. making strangers out of friends. learning mint

chocolate chip ice-cream will fix just about everything. and

for the pains it can’t there will always be my mother’s arms.

we must learn to focus on warm energy. always. soak our

limbs in it and become better loves to the world. for if we

can’t lean to be kinder to each other how will we ever learn

to be kinder to the most desperate parts of ourselves.”

Being able to relate your situation to someone else’s can make you feel less alone. Reading Rupi Kaur’s poems got me through some of my hardest times — and I hope it does the same for you. Until then, hang in there.