Ariana Grande's "7 Rings" is the Bad-Bitch Anthem We Need

Ariana Grande's '7 Rings' Is The Bad-Bitch Anthem We All Need To Make It Through 2019

"I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it."

162
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYh6mYIJG2Y

If you're like me, you've been playing Ariana Grande's new trap-inspired single "7 Rings" on repeat—both the song and the music video. On the other hand, if you're like me, you're also a broke college student who feels just a little bit fake jamming to Ari's ballad about buying red bottoms, and cribs, "just for the closet," while you're also living off of Ramen and spending every last cent on textbooks.

The good news? "7 Rings" isn't just a bop about materialism and wealth. Sure, Ari continuously references money and retail therapy, but the key in both the song and the music video is her unbothered, IDGAF attitude. "7 Rings" also emphasizes prioritizing your squad. She mentions the matching diamonds that she bought for herself and her six friends (hence, the song title) and states, "I'd rather spoil all my friends with my riches". Her crew's also visible in the video, partying and hyping up Ariana as she busts out her lyrics and showcases her independence.

Additionally, looking a bit deeper into some of the lyrics will reveal what Ari really wants her fans to take away from this single. "Buy myself all of my favorite things" and "Write my own checks like I write what I sing" aren't merely a flex of Ariana's wealth. She's demonstrating her self-sufficiency, especially after her split with Pete Davidson. Following these lines are my personal favorite set of lyrics: "Been through some bad shit, I should be a sad bitch. Who would have thought it'd turn me to a savage?" This is essentially her announcement to the world that, hey, even after all the things she's been through, she's managed to come out on top and is actually doing just fine! And this is the attitude that's present throughout the whole song and video: unbothered, resilient, and self-sufficient.

So how does this tie back to those of us who could only dream of Tiffany's diamonds and shopping to cure our woes? Well, as I said earlier—broadly, the overall point of Ariana's poppin' new single is to empower. And, having been released within the first month of 2019, I think it's safe that this track has given us the perfect attitude to have for the rest of the year. Even if we don't quite have the funds that Ariana does, each and every one of us still possesses the ambition, the talent, and the resilience we need to push through the bad times, to achieve our goals and get the things that we want. So, as we step into the second semester, I challenge you all to keep these lyrics in your head like a mantra: "I see it, I like it, I want it, I got it." We got this.