7 Reasons Why Millennials Are Obsessed With Nostalgia

It's more fun to look back on the past than worry about the future

3236
blogspot

Nostalgia is defined as a sentimental longing for the past. We've all felt it at some time or another. That overwhelming desire to go back in time to our childhood, when we lacked all responsibility and couldn't have been happier. But, for some reason, millennials seem to be overcome with intense nostalgia more so than any generation before us. I felt the need to explore exactly why that is - and honestly, I'm using this as an excuse to take a trip back in time myself. Here are a few reasons that I've come up with for why millennials are a bit more obsessed with nostalgia than generations past

1. Our childhood was just too good

Maybe it's just that we had it so good as kids. From Tamagotchis and Webkinz to Green Day and Disney Channel Original Movies, the childhood of a millennial was peak human existence...Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but we did invent our own games and play outside a lot and I would give anything for that much energy and creativity right now

2. Becoming adults makes us want to turn back time

As we near the end of college and are forced out into the real world, all we want is to be kids again. Millennials aren't the only generation with a bit of laziness in them, but we are at a time in our lives where we'd rather not deal at the moment

3. The world is changing too fast

Today's world is evolving faster than ever. The difference between the world just twenty years ago and the world today is so drastic that maybe millennials just grew up in a world that changed before our eyes. We long for simpler times because the change just happened too fast and we feel like our lives did too.

4. Technology is emotionless

The technology that consumes our lives right now does block a lot of human interaction, despite us telling our parents it doesn't. We love nostalgia because it makes us emotional and that's something the world is lacking today

5. Technology also makes bathing in nostalgia so easy

Despite the drawbacks of technology, it makes looking back into the past SO easy! When else could you watch every TV show and movie from your childhood at the click of a button? Or type in a few words to a song you loved in 5th grade and instantly have it on youtube so you could belt it out with all your friends because you suddenly remember every word? Well, today we can and it's amazing

6. Our parents are ever concerned with making sure we know our generation sucks

Maybe millennials are hooked on nostalgia because our parents are constantly trying to convince us that we are awful people for our music and clothing tastes, and we need to show them that we are rooted in greatness

7. We are ever concerned with making sure our parents know that's not true

Seriously, our generation is incredible. Sure, our music nowadays may be a far cry from The Eagles or Rolling Stones, but we have some gems. Also, our parents may not approve of our clothing choices but honestly do we approve of theirs?

Millennials have our faults but every generation does, and if looking back helps us forget our struggles, then here's to that!