7 Reasons Why Dance Marathon Is The Organization You Should Join This Fall

#FTK all #DM day.

368

So, you're constantly hearing about this DM thing -- you've seen the t-shirts, the fundraising pages posted to Facebook, and the emotional Instagram posts the day after, revealing the total amount of money raised. But what exactly is this nationwide movement that creates an insane amount of hype amongst college students all about?

Here's why Children's Miracle Network Dance Marathon (DM) should be the organization you have to become a part of this new school year.

1. You get to be part of a project that has raised more than $62 MILLION for kids at children's hospitals across the country.

Yes, you read that right, Dance Marathons held at high schools and colleges all over America raise millions with a simple mission: "dance for those who can't." Most college students can't even fathom raising $1,000 for a charity, let alone being tied to an organization that raises millions.

2. You meet lifelong friends who share the same passion as you, supporting an amazing cause -- and having a whole lot of fun while doing it!

As a member of a Dance Marathon organization at your college, you develop life-long bonds with other exec members and participants. Sure, you bond over other things during all the meetings and long nights of planning, but the common tie you share in raising money for kids in hospitals facing serious illnesses is something that connects you like nothing else.

3. It's not ALL about dancing.

There's a common misconception that Dance Marathon is, well, a dance. I'm here to tell you that it is much, much more than a bunch of college students dancing around. Sure, there's dancing and music, but Dance Marathon is all about hearing inspirational stories from families who have benefited firsthand from the children's hospital that your specific college is raising money. These kids who have experienced so much in their short lives, are the reason for DM (but fun and sometimes awkward dancing are always encouraged).

4. It's a win-win when it comes to completing service hour requirements.

Whether you need to earn a certain number of service hours for your major or for your Greek organization, DM is the perfect way to get involved in philanthropy. You get to spend hours, sometimes all night and day, dancing for an inspiring cause with your friends. DM will 100 percent raise your expectations for any other philanthropic event, ever.

5. You are inspired to the point of tears.

It's no secret that DM is an emotional roller coaster. One minute you are laughing uncontrollably at your friend trying to learn the line dance (a DM tradition) and the next you have tears running down your face while listening to an inspirational story from a 8-year-old with a serious health condition. Families who receive care and treatment at a Children's Miracle Network Hospital share their testimonies of why fundraising is so crucial. It's safe to say each and every DM participant leaves with their outlook on life forever changed.

6. The feeling you get when the final amount your organization raised is indescribable.

At every DM, the total amount of money raised by that particular school is revealed. The goal is set, you have been fundraising all year for this final moment, and you can't help but burst with pride when the total is shown. You jump, cry, and hug the friends you made through DM. You know that it was because of your organization that all that hard-earned money will be going to help deserving kids and families in hospitals.

7. You develop a passion for something bigger than yourself.

As college students, it is easy to get wrapped up and become self-absorbed with our own lives. Some people think that college students, especially fraternities and sororities, are only concerned about partying. DM gives those in college an opportunity to prove this stereotype wrong. Because of DM, lives at children's hospitals across the country are being changed due to the money raised by college students. Even after your college years, your passion for supporting Children's Miracle Network Hospitals will never leave your heart due to the incredible experience that can be gained from DM. In short, DM will change your life forever.

Want to learn more about DM? Visit http://dancemarathon.com, "Like" Dance Marathon on Facebook, or contact your school's DM organization!