7 Reasons To Love Impractical Jokers

7 Reasons To Love Impractical Jokers

A list of reaons why I can't get enough of the four comedians from Staten Island.

380
7 Reasons To Love Impractical Jokers
AV Club

Impractical Jokers is easily my favorite show on television right now. For those of you who haven't seen or heard of it, IJ is a comedy show on TruTV staring 4 best friends who "compete to embarrass each other out amongst the general public with a series of hilarious and outrageous dares." The guys - Joe Gatto, James "Murr" Murray, Brain "Q" Quinn, and Sal Vulcano - are New York natives who have been friends since they met in high school 20-some years ago. Each episode of the show includes various "challenges" that each joker must complete, typically forcing the guys to do something that the general public would deem absolutely ridiculous. Here's the catch - the game operates on the premise of "if you refuse, you lose." The joker with the most losses at the end of the episode suffers a "punishment," which is oftentimes worse than the task they chose not to complete. In case this wasn't enough to convince that this show is completely amazing, here are 7 reasons to LOVE Impractical Jokers.

1. It features REAL people

There's nothing fake about these guys (well, except for Murr's eyebrows). They're just a group of normal, relatable guys who make us laugh for a living. They have their own lives and even had typical, everyday jobs in show's beginning. In addition, the personalities they show us are never fabricated for sake of ratings. The guys just get out there and do their thing, showing the audience genuine reality in a business where the definition seem to have been forgotten.

2.The comedy is so quality

Improv comedy requires a certain cleverness and sharp wit that just makes it so great, and these guys have it in spades. Jokes are great, but jokes that are made in the moment elicit that special kind of laughter that leaves you feeling so comedically satisfied.

3. The punishments are superb

The guys have known each other their entire adult lives, so they know a thing or two about what makes the other guys tick. Who could forget when Murr had to skydive, or when Q was covered in tarantulas, or all the times Sal got chased by Benjamin Cat? Even when they're not exploiting each other's worst fears, their creativity when it comes to punishments is seemingly endless. Some legendary moments have come out of just making the other guy do weird things, like making Joe belly dance or turning Sal into the Bog Monster of Louisiana. And then there was the infamous tattoo triple punishment...

4. Who doesn't love watching people humiliate themselves in public?

In a society that holds its behavioral norms dear, it always catches our attention when someone breaks these norms. The whole point of Impractical Jokers is to publically break these norms, and do so in a comical way. Not only are they getting the attention of the people around them, they're broadcasting their bizarre behavior around the world. Thankfully, they always use that attention for good, time and time again delivering hysterical jokes and making us laugh until we fall down (or maybe that's just Sal).

5. They keep it interesting

Though I'm not sure it's possible to get bored with this show, the guys are always doing new and exciting things. They introduce new challenges, go to exotic locations, and even hold live shows for charity. There's always something going on in the world of Impractical Jokers.

6. But they never really change

The guys have surely grown throughout the seasons. Q's gotten more confident, Murr's gotten more crafty, Sal's gotten more sassy, and Joe's become a family man, but they've never changed who they are. They continue to give us the classic challenges, the classic jabs at each other, and the classic comedy we fell in love with.

7. They truly are best friends

There's something very endearing about lifelong friends. In the midst of all the pranks and the ridicule, the guys love each other. Each episode reminds us how important our friends are in our lives.

Season 6 premiers in February 2017!