7 Reasons You Should Study Abroad In France

Other than it's the best place in the world.

10
Kimberley Davis

Whether study abroad is an idea you have been toying with for awhile now or something that has never crossed your mind, you should do it. I promise you won't regret it. For those of you who still need a little convincing, here are my favorite things about studying abroad in France.

1. Paris

Whenever I tell people I am studying in France, they automatically assume I am studying in Paris. Quite honestly, I'm not sure people are aware that there is a France which exists outside of Paris, but we'll let it slide for a second because Paris is amazing.

Most study abroad experiences will likely find you outside of Paris, but don't you fret because the TGV is a beautiful thing which can get you to Paris in just a few short hours for a reasonable price. And even when you've run out of money and can't afford the train, there are plenty of buses that will take you to Paris for only 12 euros.

2. The Food

Yes, French food really is as amazing as they say. You'll have no trouble finding crêpes, escargot, moules frites, etc. anywhere you go. On and let's not forget about all of the amazing cheeses. And the never ending assortment of pastries, all of which are delicious.

3. Wine

I almost grouped this with the food, but that would have been sinful. French wine is far too good to not have its own category. Wine in France is an absolute must, and if you get the chance I highly suggest doing a dégustation (wine tasting). Your tastebuds will thank you.

4. You Meet Amazing People

When I leave France, one of the things I will miss the most will be the people I have met here. Study abroad is an incredible opportunity to meet people from all over the world, and the opportunities go beyond your university. The Erasmus program organizes plenty of parties for international students all over Paris (yes you can go even if you aren't technically an Erasmus student). I have plenty of friends within Rennes who do not study with me at Sciences Po, and I have even made friends with people who study on the other side of the country. Oh, and French people are pretty cool too.

5. Travel

This is probably my favorite reason to study abroad. Traveling around Europe isso cheap. Remember the TGV and the buses? Since arriving in France, I have been to Paris three times, and I have also been to Nantes, Bordeaux, Vannes, and le Mont-St-Michel. Most, if not all, universities have one to two weeks of holiday in the fall for Toussaint, which everyone uses to travel. Cheap airlines abound in Europe and there are plenty of safe and inexpensive hostels. I am traveling to Prague, Rome, and London during this week with a friend and we have spent less than 400 euros on flights, trains, and hostels.

6. Experience French Life

Aside from the ridiculous bureaucracy and the torture that is opening a French bank account, the French pretty much have life figured out. No one works late hours, homework is a virtually nonexistent concept, and they spend hours enjoying great food and the company of friends. I don't think I've ever seen a stressed French person. Ever. For an American, it's actually a bit unnerving how relaxed the French are about everything. It really is the better system, though, if you ask me.

Oh and let's not forget about afternoon's spent spectating their national sport : protesting.

7. Learn French

Don't know any French? What better way to learn that to directly immerse yourself in the language and culture? You'll pick up the basics quick enough, and if you're worried about French people hating you for not speaking French, don't. As long as you make an attempt, they will be delighted, and once they find out you speak English, you will be their new best friend. And if, like me, you already know French, it's a great way to practice and refine your language skills. Plus, there are just some things you will never learn in a classroom.