7 Reasons Why I Decided To Become A Broadcast Journalism Major

It's about more than just looking pretty for the camera.

1930

I didn't always want to be a journalist. In fact, when I was growing up, I wanted to actually become a teacher. It wasn't until about high school that that changed. My sophomore year of high school, I found that I had an interest in becoming a physical therapist because of my new understanding of how the human body works and having the athletic background. Then I wanted to be an architect because I loved creating different houses in the SIMS simulation game and thought " oooh I can do this." Nope.

During my junior year of high school was when I truly discovered how much I wanted to be a journalist specifically one who works overseas. I was in a video production class and the teacher had us get into groups and create a News package with one reporter and one camera person. I fell in love and at that point decided that was what I wanted to do as a career. These are some of the other reasons I fell in love with the idea of being a future journalist.

1. Travel

I discovered my freshman year that I LOVE the thrill of traveling, I love being able to get on the plane and go places and experience things that ordinary people don't, even if it ends up with me only traveling domestically. One of my goals is to eventually live overseas somewhere for a while as a reporter.

2. Writing

I love to write. Creative writing is one of my absolute favorite things to do. I enjoy growing as a writer and putting my thoughts on to paper.

3. Being the first to a story

One of the things I am looking forward to the most is the rush to being one of the first people to the story, not only that but you can become a voice for those who can't speak for themselves.

4. Being someone people are inspired by

I want to be able to show a young child or person that if they work hard enough they can accomplish anything they want to in life.

5. The odd hours

Waking up at midnight and working a 2 AM to 11 AM shift?? Yes.

6. Getting to be on the forefront of a natural disaster

Hurricanes, tornados and everything and anything in between. I want to be there before, during and after they happen. I want to be the person who hears the inspiring stories of survival, of struggle, and of loss.

7. The passion and drive it takes to be one

A journalist does not make much money when they are first starting out, many journalists are a journalist because they have the passion for the writing, researching, investigating, reporting and time it takes to work on a story and the satisfaction of knowing how hard you worked.

I know it's going to be hard, I know I'm going to have to work hard to reach my goals and that it won't come easy for me.

“I became a journalist to come as close as possible to the heart of the world.” - Henry Luce