7 Best Pieces Of Advice My Mom Has Given Me

Sometimes, Mom is actually right... Sometimes.

30
Ariana Rassooly

In a lot of ways, my mom and I are like night and day. The amount of screaming matches and snide comments made to each other in the past is actually laughable. Despite this though, our relationship is amazing. And while we are so very different, we are also exactly the same. My mom has been my support system through so much. She always has my back no matter what. Most of all, she is my confidant. I can tell her anything and she will listen when I want her to and give tough love when I need her to. Some of the words of wisdom she's given me are the tipping point in important life decisions that need to be made. These are seven little pieces of advice that she's given me that have stuck around in my mind.

1. Have 20 seconds of courage.

Whether it's cliff diving or confronting something that scares me...like cockroaches, my mom always tells me to be brave for 20 seconds. She says that 20 seconds is all you need to push yourself into doing something that might not seem so pleasant. And at the end of it, for the most part, you realize that what you were afraid of isn't so bad after all.

2. Don't let anyone take advantage of you.

Whether it's a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, life partner, best friend, boss or family member, never let someone take advantage of you. If someone is willing to use you, then they obviously don't have the respect you deserve as a human being and that relationship is toxic. Do not stay around and give people power over you, you deserve better.

3. Love your body.

And if you don't love it, either learn to or change it. Life is too short to not love every aspect of yourself. Feeling negatively about yourself is such a waste of potential because when you feel good, you look good and do good. So accept yourself for everything you have to offer.

4. Don't put yourself down.

This includes joking about yourself in a negative way to your friends and family. Because if you do it, then how can you expect others not to? And once your loved one’s start doing it, it is really easy to cross the line from joking to actually being very hurtful. Life would just be so much easier if you don't open this can of worms.

5. Be dependable.

Just like you don't want others taking advantage of you, don't do it to others. Keep your promises and be dependable. This is one of the best tricks in order to keep the relationships in your life healthy and happy. People like to be appreciated and keeping your word is a huge way to make them feel that way.

6. The early bird catches the worm.

Now, I personally struggle the most with this one, but it's one piece of advice my mom reminds me of every day. And when I actually follow it, I am way more productive and overall, just happier. Basically, the gist of it is to wake up early and seize the day. You will make the most of your life doing this.

7. Let people save face.

This is something relatively new in my mom's repertoire of advice, but it is very valuable. Even if someone did something wrong, don't attack them and make them feel bad. Instead, calmly explain what could be improved on and let them save face. They are more likely to respond to your criticism in a nice way and improve. If you just get in their face and start screaming, then the person will likely just write you off as some crazy person. Don't be a crazy person.