7 Things You Know If Avalon, NJ Is Your Beach Of Choice

After all, Avalon is cooler by a mile!
119

Summertime is almost here and that means our days will go from sitting in the classroom to heading down the shore. And if you go to Avalon, NJ, then you definitely know how truly special it is. Sure, Wildwood and Sea Isle City can be great for a day, but nothing truly compares to the Seven Mile Island.

So, if you frequently go to Avalon then you definitely know these seven things!

1. The smell of the marsh water becoming stronger and stronger as you cross over the bridge onto the island.

If there’s one thing that I love the most about Avalon is the smell of the water as you drive down Avalon Boulevard. There’s nothing I love more than rolling my windows down upon reaching the boulevard, turning up the music a little louder, and just simply breathing in the smell of the water.

It lets you know that you’re finally here—you’ve made it to the Seven Mile Island. Whether your drive is 20 minutes, 40 minutes away, or over an hour, soon you’ll be able to park your car in the driveway and leave all of your worries behind.

2. You can’t forget to pack your beach tag before going to the beach!

In comparison to other beach towns along the Jersey Shore, not many beaches require you to have a beach tag on you. Yet Avalon is one that does.

While it may seem like an annoyance to buy a beach tag every year, it guarantees the beach stays nice and clear all summer round. And who wants to lay out on the beach next to a pile of trash?!

Just remember to pack your beach tag and try to leave your snacks behind. After all, no one wants to be the person that lures all the seagulls to the sand!

3. Everyone dives off the 24th Street bridge (even though we’re not supposed to do it anyway!)

When you’re driving over the 24th Street Bridge on a hot, summer day, the chances of seeing young adults jumping off the bridge into the water are pretty high.

Yes, there are signs that say no jumping or diving is allowed, but you’re never caught more than half the time anyway. So if you’re looking for a quick dip and don’t feel like running back to your house to grab your beach tag, head on over to the 24th Street Bridge.

Just remember to dive and take a dip responsibility!

4. Going to Avalon Freeze at night after a hot day.

Enough said.

5. You can practically walk/bike anywhere and you could spend hours strolling along Dune Drive.

One of the best parts about Avalon is how everything is close together, especially along Dune Drive. The number of shops lined up along the street, where the concrete is adorned with seashells and seahorses, could keep you occupied for hours.

Want a cute new Avalon sweatshirt? Stop in Breezin’ Up. Need some coffee to start your day? Avalon Coffee can certainly add a pick me up to your day!

Not only that, but there’s nothing better than walking to a restaurant for dinner in the evening and walking back to the house during the sunset. (And that moment becomes even better if you stop at Avalon Freeze on your way home! Again, enough said.)

6. Want to take a winter trip to Avalon? You definitely know the places open all year round because it isn’t many!

Sometimes, you just simply can’t wait for the summer before going to Avalon. There are times when you just need to head to the island just to get away and clear your head.

And if this is the case, you should definitely know the places that are open all year round before you go! Because lots of shops don’t open until early May and trust me, I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago. Only a few shops are open during the middle of April!

Tonio’s and Wawa are always my personal go-to’s for food during the winter, but if you’re looking for a good breakfast? Uncle Bill’s can easily ease those cravings!

7. If there’s a chance of heavy rain, you know there’s a chance for flooding!

If you’ve been to Avalon quite a few times, you know that heavy rain means one thing—flooding. By now, you know the right spot to move your car when there’s a risk of flooding (the 24th Street Bridge is always packed!) or you know that the streets never flood where your house is!

Regardless of where you live, you can see the images of young children and teens floating down the street in their bright yellow tubes once the rain ends.

Because after all, no one lets a storm rain on their parade in Avalon!

While it can be quaint and quiet at times, you know how truly special Avalon, New Jersey is. You know how just the salty air can help ease all of your worries away and how watching the sunrise on the jetty early in the morning can truly help put things into perspective.

So, get ready to spend your summer days at the shore! The summer days are quickly approaching and soon, we’ll be able to spend our days relaxing on the beach. (Just don’t forget your beach tag!)