7 Memorable Lyrics From A Millennial's Youth

Peace up, A-town

77
pop-culturalist.com

7. Song: Just A Friend by Biz Markie

Lyric: "So I came to her room and opened the door

Oh, snap! Guess what I saw?

A fella tongue-kissin' my girl in the mouth"

-Biz Markie belting out the timeless chorus from this song is as much a piece of American history as the Declaration of Independence so this territory is well-trodden. However the line above gets overlooked due to the greatness of the rest of the song but it's a real gem. The fact that Biz Markie is so specific about what kind of kiss and the location of the kiss fills me with joy every time I hear it. It's almost as if he had to be sure to give the details so that nobody would make the routine mistake of thinking it was a butterfly kiss on the sternum or something.

6. Song: Candy Shop by 50 Cent

Lyric: "Temperature rising, okay, let's go to the next level

Dance floor jam-packed, hot as a tea kettle"

-Perhaps it's Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson's longtime status as a muscular, ultra tough guy that makes this line sound so uncharacteristically whimsical for the "Get Rich or Die Tryin" megastar. A nice Ooling tea needs like 180 plus degrees Fahrenheit to boil so ya gotta wonder how hot is this f*cking club and why is the ventilation so awful? I guess I feel ashamed for assuming 50 Cent wouldn't have extensive knowledge about steeping hot tea for like a G-Unit tea party or something. "Ah, do you hear that screeching noise ladies? That's 50's lovely herbal peppermint tea that he's prepared for you before taking you to the candy shop."

5. Song: Crank That by Soulja Boy

Lyric: "Yes I crank it everyday

Haters getting mad cause

I got me some bathing apes"

-If you're hip to fashion and understand style then you know that "bathing apes" or "bapes" is a reference to shoes made by the Japanese brand BAPE, otherwise known as A Bathing Ape. But this song dropped when I was in the 8th grade and I had no understanding of fashion(still don't) so I missed the reference to his shoes. I earnestly thought that the haters were mad at him for buying primates that enjoy soakin' in the bathtub.

4) Song: Wannabe by The Spice Girls

Lyric: "Slam your body down and wind it all around

Slam your body down and zigazig ah"

-If art mimics life and life is confusing then good gravy it adds up that this line doesn't make sense. Despite this being one of the most annoyingly catchy songs of all time, this line is equal parts legendary and perplexing. I've thought for years about the "zigazig ah" part and have failed to make sense of it. Maybe one day someone will crack the code but until then we'll continue singing along and pretending we're not riddled with confusion at the hands of the enigmatic Spice Girls.

3) Song: Ms. New Booty by Bubba Sparxxx

Lyric: "Put it on me enthusiastically, what ever it is that you do, you do it admirably

And I ain't choose it, that thang chose me

It's Bubba and Ying Yang, all the way in this thang"

-My favorite thing about this line is the part about being chosen by that thang(a butt). I love how he refers to being chosen by a butt as if the butt that's being referenced is a sentient being capable of independent decision making. Furthermore, Bubba Sparxxx expects us to believe that, in the case of there actually being a sentient booty, we're supposed to just passively accept that Bubba Sparxxx is the chosen one. Nope nope hell nope.

2) Song: Yeah by Usher Ft. Lil' Jon & Ludacris

Lyric: "Me and Ush once more and we leave 'em dead,

we want a lady in the street but a freak in the bed"

-There's really not much to say about this line, it's just one of those lines that has the rare ability to stick in your head until the end of time. Hearing this line as a 4th grader really felt like a lightning bolt striking the ground and I remember thinking in my 9 year old mind how edgy this line was. "Ooooh he's talking about humping!" we murmured in class.

1) Song: Get Low by Lil' jon & The Eastside Boyz

Lyric: "To the window (to the window)

to the wall (to the wall)

to the sweat drop down my balls (my balls)"

--¯\_(ツ)_/¯