7 Life Lessons I Learned From The Office

Because you can find deep meaning In anything you're completely obsessed with.

3362
SSN

I'd never found a television show that's made me laugh, cry, and fall in love with a fictional character before I found "The Office." When I first started watching it, it took over my life. I started to measure time in terms of "The Office" episodes: "Almost an hour until work? Two episodes until work." I neglected my school work, and more often, my sleep, to watch it, and went into a depression after I finally watched the finale.

I could easily write an article entitled "Signs You're Obsessed with The Office." Like, you and your roommate having learned a trumpet and piano duet of the theme song, being able to endlessly quote lines from memory, or being tempted to answer the office phone at your work-study job, "Dunder-Mifflin, this is Kellie."

But a more meaningful way to pay tribute to this show is by spreading all the lessons it teaches throughout the series.

1. Themed parties are the best parties.

I would have the Party Planning Committee plan one of my parties any day. A Benihana Christmas, a Hawaii-themed party, and Casino Night are creative ways to have fun in any setting.

2. Good things happen to those who wait.

Anyone who watches "The Office" can understand patience in terms of Jim Halpert. He had to watch the love of his life be engaged to someone else for years, but he waited, knowing his patience would someday pay off.

3. You don't exactly have to be good at something to do it.

Kevin and Michael are testaments to this. Although Michael shows moments where he may actually know what he's talking about, like attracting potential clients at Chili's, Kevin invents imaginary numbers to balance his checkbooks, and is still employed as an accountant.

4. A little humor will get you through anything.

Whether it be Michael loosening up the office atmosphere with a "That's what she said" joke, or Jim de-stressing by pranking Dwight, laughter is the best medicine at Dunder-Mifflin. (Or in any situation, for that matter.)

5. True friends will bring you out of your toughest times.

Even though you may be tempted to say that some of the employees of the Scranton branch have bad blood, they're always there for each other. When single-mom Angela needed a place to stay, Oscar offered his home, and when Pam needed a shoulder to cry on, Dwight was there for her. For sympathy, advice, or a laugh, true friends will be at your side through thick and thin.

6. Creativity can be expressed in all different ways.

Some may think that Pam is the creative one in her relationship with Jim, due to her artistic talent, but it takes some true creativity to come up with such complex pranks all the time. Jim and Pam may express their free-thinking in different ways, but it all comes from deeper inspiration.

7. "There's a lot of beauty in ordinary things. Isn't that kind of the point?"

What a beautiful, and true, way to end a show based on what seems to be such an ordinary phenomena; the goings-on of a paper supply company. But the intricacies of the lives of the people there, and the ones of the people connected to them, are truly astounding. There certainly is beauty in the ordinary if you take the time to look.

One of my favorite things in the world is sharing my passion about "The Office" with others, and getting my friends as equally addicted. "The Office" isn't just a hilarious, creative, relatable show; it's full of lessons that can last a lifetime. No matter who you're with, where you are, or what else you have going on, "The Office" is sure to leave you smiling. How could you resist something this great?

(That's what she said.)