7 Life Lessons from Wise Mice

7 Life Lessons from Wise Mice

The teachings from Kevin Henkes

304
7 Life Lessons from Wise Mice
Active Happiness

Forget the self-help books and the inspirational speakers. Turn instead to Kevin Henkes’ lovable mice who you read about as a child to guide you when the going gets tough:

1. “Chester and Wilson. Wilson and Chester. That’s the way it was. And then Lily moved into the neighborhood.”

Chester’s Way

At first Chester and Wilson are skeptical of Lily's backwards talk and crazy disguises, but after she rescues them from the older crowd, they become “Chester and Wilson and Lily.” The three musketeers teach us that cutting a sandwich diagonally is nowhere near as snazzy as using cookie cutters. The mice show us how to accept our differences and make the most of them.

2. “Today was a difficult day. Tomorrow will be better.”

Lily’s Purple Plastic Purse

Lily makes another appearance! But here her teacher, Mr. Slinger, is the one offering sage advice. No matter how bad today has been, despite the fact that your new bag that has its own built-in soundtrack was confiscated, the next one will make up for it!

3. “Worry, worry, worry. Too much worry.”

Wemberly Worried

When one worry is resolved, the next one always arises. What if nobody comes to the party? What if everyone comes but there’s not enough cake? This perpetually anxious mouse reminds us that although she could not stop worrying, we shouldn’tsweat the small stuff!

4. “Chrysanthemum did not think her name was absolutely perfect. She knew it.”

Chrysanthemum

Although she initially loves her name, this little mouse begins to struggle with its uniqueness when teased by her classmates. She comes to love it again when her favorite teacher has an equally unique name and wants one for her baby as well. What Chrysanthemum teaches us is to embrace our individuality!

5. “‘Louise, you are brave. You are fearless.’ ‘We both are.”’

Sheila Rae, The Brave

All along, Sheila thought she was the daring older sister who laughed when the principal approached and made a point to walk on every single crack. Yet when she gets lost on her way home, it is Louise, the scaredy-cat, who stays calm and carries on. Being brave isn't necessarily a quality you have to wear on your sleeve. You can be brave without anybody knowing.

6. “‘You’re talking about my brother. And for your information, his nose is shiny, his eyes are sparkly, and his fur smells like perfume.”’

Julius, The Baby of the World

While at first Lily is jealous of her new baby brother, Julius, when someone else dares to insult him, Lily comes to his defense. The important lesson Lily teaches is that your siblings have your back, no matter how much you might drive each other crazy.

7. “No, Fuzzy is perfect.”

Owen

Owen is distraught at the thought of leaving his blanket behind when he goes to school. The solution, to turn the blankey into a handkerchief, solves the problem and teaches us that if there is someone or something in your life that makes you happy, don't let it go.