7 Lessons I Learned In 2017

7 Lessons I Learned In 2017

It was a year full of big lessons and bigger blessings.

161
7 Lessons I Learned In 2017
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/31/636503556437123362381686593_B88F493E-49DE-4AD8-9705-92CEABED9315.jpeg

Well, we've done it, people. We've some how managed to finish the Christmas madness of 2017, yay! Now we're about to start a whole new year. Many people feel the need to do New Year's resolutions, but I'd like to just take the time to say that I'm not doing one because I never stick with it anyways. Therefore, this article is about valuable lessons that I have learned in 2017 (some are still a work in progress for me). I hope they speak to you and that you can relate, enjoy. :)

I. Loving yourself is so important.

I'm learning that life gets more tough the older you get. Self love is an important thing to have. Without self love, you allow yourself to settle for things that you know you don't deserve. And sadly, because of that, you allow yourself to get hurt in the process. Loving yourself is actually the core to being happy. If you're not happy with yourself, you'll never be happy with anyone or anything in life. I'm not perfect in this category by no means, it's a work in progress.

II. Boys will be boys.

I have seen so many girls, myself included, dealing with pettiness from boys that they do not deserve. If they are only texting you at certain times, calling you when they're drunk, and then disappearing for months and suddenly popping back in with the "I miss you" texts.. just don't respond. Don't do it. Especially do not give a second chance to someone who did nothing but pursue you and then drop you for no reason. Do not let them play mind games with you, because I promise you, if they are doing any of those things, it's mind games. If you feel as though they aren't willing to pursue you one hundred percent with zero hesitations or shadiness, don't even take a second glance. You do not have to have a boy to be happy.

III. Not everybody is permanent.

There will be people in your life who are literally only there for a lesson. Whether it be friends or significant others. There are people who you thought were your friends and they turned out to stab you in the back, people who you were friends with that the friendship just fizzled out, boys who were potential boyfriends but it never took off like it should've. These people taught you a personal lesson about life. What to say, what not to say, what to put up with and not put up with, what to expect and so on. Don't look back and regret it (easier said than done) just take the lesson and move on. God is preparing you.

IV. Keep your circle small.

This world is going crazy to be honest. And I've learned friendship is one of the greatest gifts. Having friends you know that you can trust makes it that much greater. While losing some people in my life, I've also gained. My circle is small but I trust them with my life. They're my greatest secret keepers and the best advice givers, and I wouldn't change that for anything. I got insanely lucky with my circle.

V. Not everyone is going to be your number 1 fan.

I just felt this one was necessary to follow number 4. But just remember, not everybody wants the best for you. It's sad but it's the way some people are. You can do everything right and they will still want to see you fail. And because of this, not everybody deserves the chance to have an inside look at your life. Just be cautious.

VI. Family is the number one greatest gift.

My family is my backbone. Without them I would be absolutely nothing. They have my back through every peak and every valley. I know it's cliche, but my family truly is the greatest. It breaks my heart that some people can't say the same about their family and get to experience a love that is so forgiving and unconditional.

VII. It is okay to not be okay.

I saved the best for last. To me, this year has been tough. College is stressful. And while college is stressful, so is trying to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life. And the dreaded family dinners when they ask, "what's your major?" or my personal favorite, "what are you going to do with your life?". When you reply with you don't know, they act shocked or say "you've been in college for so and so years and you don't know?". You reply with no and they try to counsel you with "well what do you enjoy?" or "what do you see yourself doing?". It used to bother me. But now, I just don't even care. Because I've learned it's okay not to know the answer to those questions.. not right away at least. I mean, I'm only 21 years old. I still have plenty of time to figure it out. So, it's okay to not be okay sometimes, and not know what your plan and purpose is. You still have time. And everything will fall into place when it's supposed to. Just believe in that.