7 Lessons Learned From Having A Big Family

Why bigger is better.

2
Tiffany Tenney

Growing up as part of a big family is an experience unlike any other. Heres what I've learned along the way.

1. The Value of a Dollar: Lots of kids means lots of everything. From food to toothpaste, just about everything in our house runs out quickly, that’s just the way it works. Having lots of kids is expensive so saving money and appreciating what you have is important. Having a big family means thinking of others. It’s not taking the last of anything because you want to save it for someone else. It means taking quick showers to save hot water and remembering to shut of the lights. You make sure everyone else has eaten before you take seconds. Having a big family gives you an awareness of others and perspective that you wouldn’t have otherwise
  2. What’s Yours Isn’t Just Yours: I can’t count the number of times I have seen my sisters wearing my clothes or having my favorite shirt “missing” only to find it in the wrong closet. We steal each others clothes… its what we do. When you have a big family you learn to share even when you really don’t want to. They’ll find out where you hid your favorite snack and they will eat your leftovers from the fridge, even if they say your name on it.
  3. The art of fitting lots of things into not so big places: Going anywhere isn’t easy with all of us. Going to the store, out to eat, or on vacation means lots of everything. Packing the car with everyone’s things seems near impossible at times. People see us places and wonder who was crazy enough to have all of those kids. You, mom, you’re crazy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
  4. There are never better people to have in your corner: There is no better friend than a brother or sister. You always have someone to hangout with, there will always be someone there for you. We protect each other. Seeing my siblings upset is heart-wrenching. Oh, and only I’m allowed to give them a hard time.
  5. Everything is Fun: Car rides, watching TV, and dinner around the table are times where we make our favorite memories. Whatever we’re doing and wherever we are, we know how to have a good time.
  6. Patience: Five siblings can be as annoying as it sounds sometimes. There is usually some kind of yelling to be heard in our house. Some days require more patience than others and some days it just runs out. There are fights that turn into brawls and someone usually ends up injured, but I do know patience and without my big family I wouldn’t know it the way I do.
  7. Unconditional Love: They are my favorite people in the world. When you need a friend or you just want someone to ride with you to the store, they’re there. They will always be with you through everything, they know how good you can be, they believe in you, they know how to push your buttons, but they also know what makes you laugh. They know that girl you didn’t like in third grade, that boy that used to pick on you, and how you went through a terrible fashion phase (mine was wearing velvet jump suits). They even have the pictures to prove it. They remember every good story you tell because they were probably a part of it. You miss them when they’re gone because its like a part of you is missing. There is an unbreakable bond between the siblings of a big family. There may be lots of craziness and fighting but there will always be unconditional love.