7 Important Pieces of Advice My Parents Gave Me

What would we do without them?

8209
https://www.flickr.com/photos/elisabethy/

It always surprises me that our parents have had similar experiences as we have now. It’s weird to think that years ago, our parents pulled all-nighters, had crushes, and felt hopeless at times. They went through a lot back then, and have therefore acquired quite a bit of wisdom along the way. That wisdom, more likely than not, has been passed down to us, and although we like to roll our eyes and go “yeah, yeah mom/dad, we get it,” it can be helpful to reflect on those memories when times are difficult. I know I have. Here are 7 important pieces of advice my parents gave me that I still follow to this day.

1. "Work hard now, so you can relax later."

My dad’s favorite saying. He says this one any chance he gets. Literally. Like all the time. It’s his motto.

All jokes aside though, my dad means well when he says this to me. He knows the value of hard work and how much it can ease your mind to sacrifice a little bit now for happiness later, which is why he emphasizes this point to me to no end. Regardless, I appreciate it, because it is true.

I use this advice whenever I’m procrastinating or avoiding my responsibilities for more fun endeavors. It helps me understand not to sacrifice permanent for temporary. Yeah, maybe going out with friends is more fun than staying in and catching up on homework, but if you work on your homework now, you’ll have more free time later to hang out without the added stress. What I mean to say is, time is unidirectional. You won’t get back the time you lost, and if you spent that time carelessly, you’ll soon regret it. It’s worth having FOMO if it means you do well in your classes, or get a promotion at your job. Those things matter FAR more than having a little fun. So, use this advice next time you’re feeling that procrastination hit, because someday you’ll look at your life and think those sacrifices were worth it.

2. "Never settle for anything less than what you want."

Another famous dad quote, yes, but true all the same. If something matters to you enough, you’ll put in the work to have it, no matter what.

Goals are meant to keep you on track, but sometimes we realize certain goals are hard to accomplish. However, that shouldn’t stop you from getting what you want.

My parents always taught me that if I wanted something badly enough, I should work for it. If I fail, then I should get back up and try harder. What I shouldn’t do, however, is settle for anything less. Why waste all that effort on something I never wanted anyway? If you’re going to exert that much effort to do something, try to reach what you want, not what you can.

3. "It doesn't matter what people think of you, it matters what you think of yourself."

Mom’s always know best about this topic, because mean girls will always exist in any decade. I’ve had my fair share of hate, and I’ll be honest, it gets to me at times. It was worse when I was younger, especially when I tried my hardest to fit in and be liked by everyone. It took me a while to realize that not everyone is going to like you, and it’s not your fault. You can be kind, compassionate, friendly, whatever, and some people will still try to find a reason to dislike you. That’s okay. Because in the end, your perception of yourself is WAY more important than what people think of you.

I struggled with this a lot, because let’s be honest, kids can be cruel, and some never grow out of it, even into adulthood. But in the end, if you believe in yourself, what people say and do should never matter to you. This advice is something I turn to when I need to remember that it’s okay to be disliked. As long as you’re secure with yourself, what others say will never shake your foundation.

4. "Even if others are cruel to you, you should never be cruel to them."

Or in other words, revenge is a double-edged sword. Trying to “teach someone a lesson” will always come back to bite you. My mom always emphasized that trying to treat someone the way they treated you will only leave you feeling upset. If it’s not like you to be cruel or mean, then why try to change yourself just to get revenge? If someone is treating you poorly, that’s a reflection of their behavior, and it will eventually hurt them one day, but that’s not your responsibility to do so.

Karma has a way of coming around, but trying to play Karma yourself is a dangerous, and albeit, stupid game. What life has in store for someone will play itself out, but trying to get back at someone because you’re hurt or angry will only backfire on you. If you want that person to pay for what they’ve done to you, then let their own behavior be their demise. It’s not up to you to exact revenge.

I’ll be the first one to say that this is definitely hard for me to follow. Like anyone else, I think getting revenge seems like the best thing to do, but it never is. Sometimes, you have to just let things go and let Karma take care of the rest. Because Gandhi was right: “an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.”

5. "What other people do is their own business. What you do is your own business."

In a world where technology brings us every intimate detail about someone’s personal life, it’s hard not to be involved in someone’s business. But what my parents have taught me is that sometimes, it’s best to keep your business to yourself.

It can be hard not to gossip about someone’s issues, but the bigger picture here is that you don’t have enough detail to be making remarks. Nobody knows the whole story about a person’s issues, and therefore, we are in no way worthy of making judgments based off of rumors with very little credibility.

It can also be helpful to think only about your own affairs when it comes to competition. You should never focus on "beating" someone else, or how your accomplishments compare to another individual. This can lead to a constant state of anxiety, hate, and insecurity. Instead, focus on being a better version of yourself.

What people fail to understand is that the world would be more efficient if people focused on their own issues instead of prodding into someone else’s. This was probably the easiest for me to follow, simply because I don’t mind what people do with their lives. If someone does something in their life, I’m sure they have a reason for it, and what they do is not for me to judge. I'd rather just focus on myself.

7. "Never forget your roots."

This can be taken culturally or in terms of your past, but nevertheless, it’s important to always stay true to who you are. I’m Indian, and therefore, I’ve grown up speaking different languages, practicing customs, and following certain traditions. As I grow up in an American society, my parents always remind me the importance of sticking to my cultural roots. I will always be proud to be Indian, because my heritage is my identity. No matter where I go in life, I will always carry my culture with me.

Just as culture is important to me, so is my past. The way I grew up and the people I grew up with will always be a part of me. My family shaped me into who I am now, and as I grow up and leave them someday, I know I will always keep them in my life. As you grow up and embrace your newly acquired freedom, don’t forget to look back and appreciate your parents and family that helped you get there. Without their support and love, you wouldn’t be as ecstatic about your future as you are now. Respect those people and the situations you’ve been in, because they are what made you, you.

I don’t know what the future holds in store for me, but what I do know is how I’ll approach it. My parents have given me more than I can ever repay, especially in terms of advice, and I know I will take everything into consideration as I move up in the world. So, take a moment and say thanks to your parents, because without them, life would not be the same. And for all those, “back in my day,” stories, maybe instead of rolling your eyes (like we all wanna do sometimes), listen to them. There might be something worth learning about.