7 Things All History Majors Know to be True

No, I don't want fries with that

253
Buzzfeed

As a history major, I can guarantee you that you've had a handful of experiences where people would approach you and asked "why?" Why would you want to major in history? - or anything in the humanities for that matter. In a world that is increasingly becoming dominated by STEM, students have fewer reasons to major in History than ever. But as a History major, you know that's not true.

1. No, I don't want fries with that

Of course, being on the BS history track (teaching certification) is means to an end, but graduating with a BA is really ambiguous. The common misconception is that there is nothing you can do with a BA, except for maybe McDonald's or Taco Bell. But, have people ever heard of archivists? paralegals? research assistants? curators?

2. Going to the movies

Your friends probably know by now that taking you to the movies - especially when seeing a historical film, is not a good idea. Not only will you get riled up while watching the historical inaccuracies unfold before your eyes, but you know that you are also capable of spoiling the ending for your non-history major friends.

3. Chicago citations

Chicago style - a history major's worst nightmare. It took you nearly a whole semester to perfect the Chicago style citation and you still aren't entirely confident in your Chicago skills. The thought of accidently plagiarizing gives you chills and you wish things can be easy like they are in MLA land - but that certainly is not the case.

4. Primary sources

There is nothing more exciting - and daunting than checking out a new primary source. You keep your fingers crossed that it's not written in old English though. The immediate sense of relief you get when you realize that it is not is priceless. But if it is, good luck because you'll need it.

5. Bugging your profs

There's no doubt that the best profs on campus belong to the history department. Whether you need academic advising, some help on your paper, or just want to chat, you're thankful that your favorite profs are always there for you - and at least tolerate you. #blessed

6. History haters

The worst thing is when people criticize your choice to be a history major. You cringe when you hear "history isn't important" and "history is an easy major." Trust me, there's nothing easy about writing a 25-page paper with a couple dozen of sources, all cited in Chicago style footnotes, not to mention the months of research leading up to it.

7. Being a history buff

The best part about loving history is that you're not a nerd or geek - you're a history buff, which sounds a lot better. The only downside to that is that you have very strong opinions about different figures and periods in history which other people don't quite understand, but that's ok because you know that you're a step above the rest as a history major!