7 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To Today

Listen and get obsessed.

129

I love podcasts. Not only are they free, but you can listen to them while driving, working out, coloring, etc. Lately, I've found that listening to them while taking a walk around campus during study breaks provides a really nice escape from everything. So if you're looking for a good distraction from all the stress of school or the many terrible things that go on in the world every day, or you just want something besides music to listen to on your commute, here are seven great podcasts you should check out today.

1. Good Christian Fun

This is a new podcast hosted by Kevin T. Porter of Gilmore Guys(a podcast which is now over but that you should still totally check out, even if you're not a fan ofGilmore Girls) and podcast newcomer Caroline Ely. Every week, the two navigate the fascinating world of Christian entertainment, dissecting everything from Veggie Tales to the music of the pop star formerly known as Katy Hudson.

Being Christians themselves, they poke fun and point out problematic elements of faith-based pop culture while also giving it credit where credit is due and without putting down the actual religion. Each episode includes fun segments such as "Holy or Crap?" in which Kevin plays the beginning of a song and Caroline and the guest of the week have to guess whether the song is secular or Christian. There's also usually a thoughtful discussion with each guest about their personal religious background. As stated in every episode, this podcast is not out to criticize or change anyone's beliefs and is for Christians and non-Christians alike. I think it has to lot to offer both.

2. Dear Hank and John

As the nerdfighter that I am, it's natural that I love this podcast by the brothers Green. But I think even if you've never watched Vlogbrothers or picked up a John Green novel, there's nothing like listening to the "dubious" advice of these two brothers as they answer questions like "How do I tell my dad I've been hiding a snake for several months?" and "How long until everyone is related to Beyoncé? The podcast is light-hearted and humorous but can also often be serious and informative. I often come away having learned something and having a good laugh.

3. Pop Culture Happy Hour

What list of podcast recommendations would be complete without at least one from NPR? As someone who loves to devour pop culture of all kinds and then analyze it, I love listening to Glen Weldon, Linda Holmes, and Steven Thompson pick apart movies, tv shows, award shows, etc. and see the extent to which their opinions line up with mine. This is also how I discovered some of the pop culture I love, as I've listened to many episodes in which I didn't know that much about one of the things they were discussing and found myself intrigued by their excellent, spoiler-free, and often humorous discussion.

4. The Psychology Podcast

I'm a psychology nerd, so I might enjoy this more than the average person. But I think the topics on this podcast are relatable and interesting for just about anyone. It's hosted by Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman, a positive psychologist and intelligence researcher who interviews a different expert in each episode on topics ranging from creativity to introversion to happiness to the science of attraction. Some of the episodes are even specifically targeted to college students, such as one called "Thriving in College (And In Life)." So if you could use some solid life advice or just want to deepen your understanding of the broad field of psychology, this is the podcast for you.

5. How Did This Get Made

What's more fun than watching a movie that's so bad it's good? On this podcast, comedians/actors Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas watch a terrible movie every week and then hilariously tear it apart with celebrity guests like Adam Scott and Anna Faris. It's much better when you've actually seen the movie they're covering, but even if you haven't, these funny people are a blast to listen to.

6. Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories

Maybe it's a little weird to say that a podcast about murder serves as a fun distraction from my life, but this "modern twist on old-time radio" as it's described by hosts Wenndy Mackenzie and Carter Roy is a lot of fun. They describe cold cases from as far back as Lizzie Borden to as recent as Bob Crane, complete with reenactments from a host of voice actors, and at the end, the hosts attempt to solve the case. Sure, the reenactments can get a little corny, but this podcast is nothing short of entertaining.

7. The Babysitter's Club Club

This one is the most niche of the podcasts on my list, as probably the majority of college students have not read "The Babysitter's Club" series. But many have, and listening to a couple of grown men talk about my favorite childhood books is a bright spot of every week for me. Buzzfeed writers Jack Shepherd and Tanner Greenring have amazing chemistry as cohosts and are full of hilarious theories and insight into Ann M. Martin's beloved series. So to anyone who once loved the "Babysitters Club" and even if you have no idea what that is, you should definitely check this one out.

So there you have it, seven great podcasts to potentially get hooked on and enjoy during your commute, workout, or just while you're winding down after a long day. The list is pretty eclectic, so hopefully at least one will appeal to you!