7 Things I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

7 Things I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

Your guide to survive.

9
7 Things I Wish I Knew Freshman Year

Freshman year of college is a series of trials and tribulations that pave the way to finding out who you really are. It sounds super cheesy, right? Well it turns out that, as cheesy as it sounds, it’s actually really true. It's scary true. Having been there myself, I wouldn’t have changed a thing. (Okay, maybe I wouldn’t have created that pizza profile with Domino’s for when I got home from parties.) Now, of course, we can’t go back in time and do things differently, but don’t worry! There’s still hope for some of you! I now present to you a compilation of things that I wish that I could have told myself for freshman year. Take notes.

1. Don’t get too close with people too quickly.

I’m not saying that you shouldn't make as many friends as you can. You should just be cautious of who you tell what happened that first night at the football party. Just because she was your first bestie doesn’t mean that she’ll hold on to that title next semester. Your friends will change and so will you, so confide with caution!

2. That senior guy most likely doesn’t have any intentions to meet your parents.

The older boys are so mesmerizing and suave. Maybe he was your pong partner (of course you played with water) or maybe he sat in front of you in class. He seems to be the most charming and charismatic guy in the world to you no matter how many upperclassmen girls have warned you about him. Sometimes the warning signs get brushed under the beer-stained rug and his effortless enchantment takes over. Don’t forget that he’ll be gone and graduated before you know it. Bottom line: just be careful with the guy that wants to play tonsil hockey the moment you meet.

3. You should join clubs!

Many of you may be thinking, “This girl sounds like my parents/that brochure that I got.” However, I wouldn’t be friends with half of the people that I am friends with today if I didn’t join those clubs. You already have one common interest with them. I’d say that that’s enough to get a friendship going! Clubs are also a great way to get away from the books for a few hours and enjoy yourself.

4. School comes first.

Seriously, it does. Don’t get me wrong, you should still go out and have a great time! However, it might not be the best idea to go out 6 out of the 7 days in the week. My first semester grades were the shocking reality that I needed to get my act together and buckle down. This is especially true for those of you who are lucky enough to get scholarships. You don’t want to mess that up. That party on Saturday night will kick your butt on Monday morning when you forgot to study for that exam. After all, you’re at college to earn a degree in something worthwhile.

5. Netflix can be a trap.

If I’ve said it to my roommate once then I’ve said it a thousand times: “One more episode won’t hurt, right?The next thing that you know you’re late for your 2:00 p.m. Art History class when you began watching at 10:00 a.m. Binge watch with caution!

6. Call home from time to time.

Your family will miss you more than you think. We all get so wrapped up in studying and spending time with friends that calling your little brother to see how his test went often takes a backseat. Calling your parents doesn’t have to be a huge ordeal, either. They’ll enjoy the smallest things, like when you ask how long you’re supposed to cook pasta.

7. Don’t forget about your friends back home.

Making new friends at school is a great thing! They’ll become your new “squad” and the people who you look to when you can’t finish that large cheese pizza by yourself. However, don’t forget about your original gang back home. Chances are that your friends from high school went to college all over the country and you’re all thousands of miles apart. But, just because you’re not physically with them every day now, doesn’t mean that they should be forgotten. Just remember that they were the ones who you probably spent every minute with during the summer before you came to college.

You’re never going to forget your college years. There may be a few hurdles and there might be some embarrassing stories, but your freshman year is the most vital year for discovering yourself. It’s going to go by faster than you can gain the “Freshman 15.” So get ready because this lesson is one that you probably won’t want to forget.