7 Female Comic Authors You Should Be Following

Some of the leading ladies of the comic industry

521
EW

So, I'm pretty much all about the women of the comic industry. Women are finally getting more jobs as writers and artists in the comic world and it's amazing. Honestly, it's hard to just choose a few since there are so many talented women breaking down comic company doors, but I'm going to give you a list to at least give you something to get started with. I'm even going to change it up from my usual “5”. We're going to go all the way to 7 recommendations this time.

Gail Simone

Gail Simone made DC better. There's no arguing it. She is probably best known for her work on Wonder Woman (volume 3) and Batgirl (New 52 volumes 1-5), Birds of Prey (volume 2), and Secret Six. There was a time where she was the ONLY female writer at DC Comics. She has been inducted into Friends of Lulu's Female Comic Creator’s Hall Of Fame, she has been nominated twice for the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comic Book, and she was awarded the first ever “True Believers Comic Award for Roll of Honor/Comic Excellence” at the London Film and Comic Convention. Basically, she's amazing. Her run of Batgirl was my favorite one yet (no offense to Brenden Fletcher or Cameron Stewart who finished out the New 52 run). She is so beloved by her fans that at one point, DC fired her and the backlash was so harsh that they re-hired her almost immediately. Gail Simone writes some of the strongest female characters I've ever read. They aren't over-sexualized, they aren't damsels in distress, they are women who are independent, who can stand on their own, who don't need anyone to save them. She is an inspiration to women through her real-life and through her written works. Currently, she's writing a series called “Clean Room” published by Vertigo with art by Jon-Davis Hunt. I highly recommend it!

Kelly Sue DeConnick

Kelly Sue DeConnick is the reason I started reading Marvel comics. I have always been more of a DC reader but I can honestly say that Kelly Sue DeConnick changed that for me when I picked up Captain Marvel. From then on, I was in fangirl love. She has written many other comic series, but besides Captain Marvel, she is most known for Pretty Deadly and Bitch Planet, which are both published through Image (and are absolutely fantastic, I might add). In fact, she was nominated for an Eisner Award for best writer through her work on Pretty Deadly. Like Gail Simone, Kelly Sue DeConnick writes amazing female characters. DeConnick was the first writer of the Captain Marvel series following Carol Danvers taking over the mantle. A series that became so popular, that Captain Marvel is going to be a movie. She redefined the character, a character that was over-sexualized and often on the back-burner, became a feminist icon in the comic world. I mean, how many writers can you say have done that?

Marguerite Bennett

Marguerite Bennett came in like a wrecking ball in the comic community (I hope you sang that to the song tune, because that's why I did it...that and I couldn't think of a better way to put it). She is the co-creator of Marvel's “A-Force”, alongside G. Willow Wilson and Jorge Molina, and currently writes the DC Comics Bombshells series. It's not DC or Marvel where she truly shines though (although both of those series are both good and popular), but Aftershock comics. I'll admit, I don't think I've ever read an Aftershock comic before. Until InSEXts came out, her crazy-awesome-horror series that's still on-going. Not too long after that, she created Animosity, another amazing series that is so popular it's ridiculously hard to find a first print first issue without having to drop at least $10, which doesn't sound like a lot, but considering it was originally like, what, $3? And good luck finding it just sitting in a store. She is also currently writing the new "Josie & the Pussycats" series and wrote the most recent Dynamite Red Sonja series. She's still pretty new to the comic world (compared to others), but she's definitely someone you want to keep your eyes out for.

G. Willow Wilson

G. Willow Wilson is the co-creator of “A-Force” with Jorge Molina and Marguerite Bennett. She is the current writer of Marvel's “Ms. Marvel”. Yet another series that pulled me further to the Marvel side of comics. Following Carol Danvers transition to being Captain Marvel, a new Ms. Marvel stepped in, Kamala Khan (who G. Willow Wilson also had a hand in creating). Her Ms. Marvel comic series has won a number of awards, multiple Eisners and Harveys as well as the Hugo Award, Joe Shuster Award, and Dragon Award. G. Willow Wilson herself has also won these awards for her work as the writer on Ms. Marvel. G. Willow Wilson is also the writer and co-creator of the Vertigo series, “Air”. She did some work with DC, such as “Vixen: Return of the Lion”, a limited series, which received very positive response. I mean, I read the series and I loved it. If you haven't picked up any of her Ms. Marvel run, you need to. She's a character that women and young girls can relate to, someone who can inspire them and set a good example. And it's all because of the amazing writing of G. Willow Wilson.

Renae De Liz

Renae De Liz is usually known for her artwork (which is phenomenal), however, I included her in this list because she proved she's just as capable of writing which can be seen if you've ever read “The Legend of Wonder Woman”. A series that she's the writer AND artist on. Like. Let some of us normal people have some of that talent, right? Every issue has received positive response and praise. It's been said to “give girls a superhero to believe in”, do I have your interest yet? It was even nominated for an Eisner this year! She's new to the writing world, but she's definitely someone you should be following. I'm sure she's got a lot more where that came from!

Kate Leth

Kate Leth is known for her work on the “Adventure Time” and “Bravest Warriors” comics, she is also the writer for one of Marvel's newer series, “Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hell Cat!”, IDW's “Edward Scissorhands”, and Dynamite's recent re-launch of Vampirella. So she works for BOOM!, IDW, Dynamite and Marvel. The woman is all over the place and it's all amazing. She has a comedic style to her writing. Her characters are more light than some of the previously mentioned female writers. She's just more...fun? I think that's the word I'm looking for. By that I mean, there's a lot of intensity with the previous suggestions. And I mean, you've watched Adventure Time, right? (If not, you should), so picture that as a comic. Picture the writing style that would be needed, and then expand that to these other titles. Not that they're all as goofy as Fin and Jake, but that lightheartedness is there. Which is good for someone like me because I read a lot of darker comics (see my list of horror titles), after dwelling in the dark, I like to have my ray of sunshine. And that's what Kate Leth gives me.

Marjorie Liu

Last, but certainly not least, Marjorie Liu, who has written a number of novels as well as comics. Her most well-known comic work is probably “Monstress”, a series that I didn't jump onto in time and now I can't find a first print issue one for less than $30 anywhere waaaahhhhh....but that's how good it is! Monstress has received very high praise, Marjorie Liu won an Eisner for best writer with it. Seriously, you should check it out if you haven't. She has also won a GLAAD Media Award for outstanding comic book while on “Astonishing X-Men” (volume 3). She was a selected writer in “Jim Henson's Storyteller” where she wrote the story, Puss in Boots, which is actually my favorite story in the collection. I think it's safe to say we can expect many more amazing things from Marjorie Liu. Monstress was her first independent story, so I for one, can't wait to see what she's going to hit us with next!

So, there you have it. A list of ladies you should absolutely be reading. There are still plenty more out there, but that list would be really long and you probably wouldn't read all of it anyway. Just know that there are a lot of talented women out there, so keep your eyes open for them!