7 Documentaries You Need To Watch Right Now

Netflix and chill is now educational.

223

Scrolling through Netflix and can't seem to settle on a movie? No fear, because the films below are (mostly) on Netflix and are definitely worth the watch. Although some people may find documentaries boring, the following list of films are extremely important as they cover lot of ground on interesting, intense, current, and shocking, truths that we may not be aware of.

1. "Saving Face"

I didn't really know how frequent or intense the acid attacks in Pakistan were until I watched this film. These attacks are sadly a normality. The film reports that there are about 100 of these attacks per year, not including the good amount that go unreported. Men (with or without their family's assistance) will throw acid into a woman's face due to the reporting of abuse, filing for divorce, rejecting a proposal or for any other reason they feel should result in the punishment of disfigurement. This documentary follows two women as they face their attackers, endure reconstructive surgery, and their reality of being a woman in their culture. One of the women are even forced to live with her attacker/husband due to her financial dependence on him. What these women have gone through needs recognition to prevent further attacks. This film is a winner of an Academy Award and is deeply deserving of it for uncovering this outrageous truth that exists in our world.

2. "India's Daughter"

If you ever wanted to become so outraged you wanted to punch a brick wall, watch this film. In 2012, the horrifying gang rape of Jyoti Singh became public and sparked a revolution to end the rape culture in India. Singh was riding a bus home in New Dehli after seeing a movie with a male friend. She was a physiotherapy intern with a very bright future ahead of her. This bright future was destroyed when six men decided to violently rape and sodomize her on the bus (all while taking turns driving the bus), ultimately leaving her for dead on the side of the highway. Singh was found 13 days later and died two days afterwards in the hospital as her attackers were discovered and taken into custody. What's even more messed up is that her attackers had no remorse for their actions. They deeply believed she deserved it because women are forced to live the strict life that has been created by India's masculine-driven society. This film has started the revolution of ending rape culture in India as well as the sexist and demeaning treatment of women. Out of all the films on this list, I highly recommend this one as it truly captures the unbelievable actions humans are capable of.

3. "The Hunting Ground"

This film shows the real truth behind rape culture on college campuses all over the United States. The creators of the film reveal that the administrators of these campuses are at huge fault due to the inadequate punishment of the attackers, the blatant financial incentives that are chosen over the victims, and the pressure to maintain low statistics of sexual violence. This is happening all over the country in countless universities. The film teaches us that the only way to end these attacks in our society is to apprehend the attackers, recognize their wrongs, and punish them for their actions. Covering up sexual violence only encourages further attacks and twists the conversation of what, "consent," really means. As a (female) college student myself, I constantly worry about sexual violence, not only from news stories like seen in the film, but from the word of mouth from my peers and their definition of, "consent." This issue is very real and happens everyday. Sexual violence should not be a method of controlling another person or be taken lightly whatsoever. The discussion of rape culture needs to be continued until these rapes stop happening. This film is an excellent way to keep the dialogue rolling.

4. "How to Survive a Plague"

This documentary is possibly one of my favorites. It captures the early experience of the AIDS epidemic in the 80s and the efforts of activists to pressure the government and medical establishments to release approved medications for AIDS patients. This film is told through older footage surrounding that time period, capturing the events first hand, rather than reenactments or storytelling. The footage used consists of old news media, interviews, protests, and videos of underground organizations. This means the emotion and raw passion seen in the activists were real and the issues they were fighting meant life or death. Not only were they fighting for medication to cure or help the sick, but they were also fighting homophobic propositions by the government. This proposition in particular was to create an immigration law to deny AIDS sufferers entry into the US, arguing that sealing off the country would help contain the disease. We have come a long way as a country and in medical science, but acknowledging these events is important in order to prevent future ignorance and shows us that fighting the good fight can get you somewhere. The film explores this historical movement in our country's history should definitely be added to your list.

5. "Blackfish"

Everyone has most likely heard about Seaworld's mistreatment of their orca whales and the dangerous outcomes of this mistreatment. The creators of this documentary have gone above and beyond to get the full story. From Seaworld's sketchy beginnings to the corrupt handing of their sea creatures, all is exposed. In the film, Tilikum, the orca that is responsible for the deaths of three individuals, is seen as what he really is: a creature in captivity that is tired, damaged, hurting and angry. This attraction site has been abusing innocent sea creatures for years, delivering false information to the public to save themselves, and illegally handling their business in various aspects. Some previous trainers along with other personnel are interviewed as they describe their experiences with the company. The film also goes into great detail to describe the deaths of trainers who were unable to escape the angered orcas before they were killed. The cruel and absurd story of torture, abuse and mistreatment will certainly ruffle anyone's feathers.

6. "Hot Girls Wanted"

The porn industry is everywhere and has invaded almost every aspect of the internet. The advertisements and the idea of the "Instagram model" has lured several young-adults into this business. The film looks at several women and their experiences of working in the amateur-porn industry and how it has impacted their lives. A few racy pictures on social media is nowhere near the reality these girls experience. This view of the amateur-porn industry will shock you and make you think twice before overlooking or judging these women. Recognizing that this industry is more than looking good and making easy money is what makes this film so important.

7. "The Invisible War"

Sexual assault is everywhere. It is used as a method of control by instilling fear into the victim. In a masculine-driven community like the military, where women already have to fight harder to prove themselves, they are dogged, ignored and demeaned, when reporting a sexual assault. In 2010, 108,121 veterans were found to have been exposed to sexual violence. Most of these were most likely found after the attack due to the lack of proper reporting and documentation. This film uncovers all the horrors of being a woman under military rule, where organization, perfection and honor, are large requirements. This means that accusing an military officer (or other ranking) of breaking these requirements will not do. Keeping the official "sexual violence" statistics low would only encourage the perfection of the military, even if it means psychological and physical harm to the victims. Throughout the film several scandals are uncovered as well as the reality of being a woman within the military where the risk of sexual assault is (unfortunately) much more likely. I, personally, haven't seen a film as real, heartbreaking and moving as this documentary.