7 DIY's You Have To Try Right Now

7 DIY's You Have To Try Right Now

Don't spend lots of money on something that you can do yourself!

240
7 DIY's You Have To Try Right Now

DIY, otherwise known as do it yourself, can apply to just about anything. From turning a T-Shirt into a tank top, to baking a rainbow cake, to crafting, DIYs can be really cool ways of having a unique item or creation. 

Not only are DIY projects extremely fun and innovative, they can also save you quite a bit of cash if you plan it out right.Not the naturally creative/artsy type? No worries. I’ve seen all types of people pull off a snazzy looking DIY in the end. I’ve been obsessed with this trend for a while. So I went ahead and scoured the Internet to compile a list of 7 DIYs I feel are too good, too cute, and too awesome to pass up.

1. DIY Tape Picture Frames

If you’re anything like me, room decorations are necessary to your happiness (which they absolutely are). You’re always looking to add that extra something to your space that is unique and kind of gives you a warm, happy, fuzzy feeling when you look at it. These picture frames use washi tape, which you can pick up from any craft store. They’re absolutely adorable and perfect for a dorm room with limited space and restrictions on what you can put on your walls.                                                       

2. Mason Jar Organizer

Yes, this one does require a bit of handy work (i.e. drilling the holes into a plank of wood and those darn hose clamps), but hose clamps sound a lot more complicated than they really are. This DIY surely isn’t for the faint of getting down and dirty, but the end result is literally the best thing I’ve ever seen. I would try this out myself, despite my fear of drilling a hole into my hand. Just make sure you know how to operate the, er, machinery before you begin. Or just get someone else to drill it for—you’re a creative soul, not a drilling connoisseur.     

3. Gold Striped Vases

These vases are extremely cheap, easy, and fabulous. DIY’s like this are my favorite because literally anyone can do it. You don’t have depend on your artistic talent or have an innate ability to spray paint symmetrical lines—the painter’s tape lessens the pressure of needing to be perfect. Just grab a $4 bottle of spray paint and a $1 glass vase from the dollar store and go to town. You won’t regret having this bright little accent as you can put practically anything it them. It’s enough to brighten up any room.       

4. Glitter Heart Tote Bag

A more personalized way to mix up your standard tote bag, this DIY is guaranteed to get you a bunch of “where did you get that” questions. Whether you wear it out and around the town or for a simple Whole Foods run, its simplicity is part of the beauty! And best of all, it doesn’t have to be a heart shape, it could be a star, a moon, a tiger (though that might prove challenging). As long as you can find a shape online to use as your stencil, you can make it.                                                

5. Kitchen Quote Art

This idea is so, so cute and it of course does not have to be restricted to the food quote that is used as an example (although sayings about food are great words to put on your wall). I included this because you can really get into the idea, use your own creativity, and think about what you say before just slapping some words onto a framed piece of paper. Best of all, this DIY will practically take no time it all to replicate once you pick it up the first time, whether it’s for friends, other rooms in your apartment (if you have one), etc.!

6. Glitter Banners

This is one that I’m sure just about anybody can enjoy! There are so many variations on what you can say and what kind of paper you can use. This project is probably the easiest out of all them, but I’m sure it’s one with a high rate of satisfaction with the final result. A fun tip is to hang one of these babies above your bed, or even an inspirational saying in your bathroom. If you’re not the type to want a glittery banner on the wall year-round (but then again why wouldn’t you), then this still makes a great birthday banner idea for a friend that is chic and adorable!

7. DIY Sharpie Mugs

If you’re anything of Pinterest and Tumblr vulture like I am, you’ll know that this is no new idea to the DIY scene. BUT this particular version of the ever drool-worthy DIY is new and improved because by using oil-based sharpies instead of the regular formula, you can avoid that “I can’t wash my mug, because the words/design/sharpie doodles come right off” that seemed to turn some people off of this DIY. And that’s not cool. Because they’re stinkin’ cute! So try it out, and thank me later (if you can ever manage to stop making more mugs). 

Although this is my take on some great DIYs that I’d personally like to try out myself if I haven’t already, there seems to be an infinite number of other ones out there to suit everyone’s taste. If you ever have a day with nothing to do but a creative spirit and little money, get to searching on Pinterest, Tumblr, Google, etc. And of course reference this list as your go-to! For a student on a budget, DIY’s are totally the way to go.