7 Current Bands For Those Who Love Music Of The Past

For the lovers of 60s hippies, 70s stoners, 80s punks, and 90s grunge enthusiasts

221
Instagram

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few years, you have probably noticed a resurgence of '90s trends, ranging from tattoo chokers and flannels to band T-shirts and combat boots.

As a lover of the decades ranging from the '60s to the '90s, here are some modern bands that reinvent the melodious sounds of the past by adding elements of contemporary rock to the old styles I grew up hearing on vinyl, mixed tapes, and burned CDs.

*I'm also picking smaller bands because bands like Fleet Foxes and Arcade Fire already get enough publicity, even though they are bomb as well. Secondly, these bands are more representative of the garage rock, blues-y, and guitar-heavy bands of these decades; no pop here today.

1. Wolf Alice

This list is in no particular order. However, Wolf Alice, a British indie band, is definitely my current favorite band that is dominating my playlists. This band gives off hints of '90s grunge and alternative rock, while also bringing in some '80s punk sounds.

"Giant Peach" is a song I would highly recommend for those who want to dive right in. Otherwise, you might just want to start with their largest hit to date "Bros" which is a bit calmer. Three singles have already come out for their new album coming out this fall entitled Visions of a Life which will be released on September 29, 2017.

2. Gringo Star

This summer, I saw these guys live and it was HEAVENLY, to say the least. Gringo Star, another indie rock band, hailing from Atlanta has roots in the '60s and '70s garage rock. As a huge fan of listening to angels play guitars, this band's riffs give me life. Some songs I would highly recommend to start listening to from them are "Get Closer", "Make You Mine", "All Yall", and "Shadow."

3. Wolf People

This past fall, I was flipping through some new release vinyl at a local record store and was immediately attracted to the album cover of Wolf People's newest album Ruins. I have probably listened to this album about 419 times.

Wolf People is a British rock band that also sounds extremely similar to '60s and '70s rock, but more of the progressive and bluesy rock of the time period. I love the whole album, but the first five songs of Ruins played back to back would alone make you fall in love with them as I did.

4. Naomi Punk

(I might be slightly biased because of their name but...) a new Nirvana? However, they are definitely much smaller, probably achieving the amount of success Kurt Cobain would have wanted. WE LOVE(D) YOU KURT, we're sorry there were just so many of us.

Anyways, this band also from Washington state does have inklings of Nirvana but is just a bit fuzzier. Their largest hit from their first album The Feeling titled "The Spell" would be a great introduction. However, they just released the album Yellow in August and the songs "Cookie" and "Cardboard" are pretty incredible as well.

5. Witchcraft

Heavily influenced by Black Sabbath, the Swedish hard rock band Witchcraft reminds me of old school metal from the '70s and '80s. I could listen and headbang to the song "It's Not Because of You" from their album Legend all day long. Also, who doesn't love foreign accents? The albums Witchcraft and Legend I highly recommend, and they did release their newest album Nucleus in January of last year.

6. All Them Witches

Roots rock plus hints of hard rock that help one reminisce with the sounds of plenty 70s and 80s rock bands is how I would describe All Them Witches. The Nashville based band released its newest album Sleeping Through The War in February of this year and it's amazing.

I cannot stop listening to "Don't Bring Me Coffee" and "3-5-7." Their largest hit "When God Comes Back" from Lightning At The Door is also really good in showcasing their hard rock side as well as some of their southern style.

7. The Weeks

The Weeks are another band that gives off some older blues rock vibes, but this band also sounds similar to a lot of modern alternative music. They remind me of the Black Crowes from the '90s when they were bringing back the sounds of classic rock (but more southern) to their time period.

The Weeks is the next progression of the Black Crowes' evolution of rock. Their latest album, Easy, that was released this April is full of some Lynyrd Skynyrd sounds as well and it is fantastic. Also, their largest banger "Buttons" from their second album is wonderful, but honestly just turn them on and listen to all of their music for hours, you won't regret it.

**Bonus Bands: Sing Street, Radio Moscow, and J. Roddy Walston & The Business